1986 Yamaha 115 missing at idle through 2500 RPM

angrynorsk

Recruit
Hello,

Long time reader first time poster. I have a 1986 Yamaha 115 on a 19' StarCraft bowrider. At the end of last year, the boat was running ok, but lacked hole-shot. Over the winter, I disassembled the carbs one at a time to ensure that was not the issue. There was a little gum on the carbs that easily came off with some carb cleaner and compressed air. I re-assembled the carbs and re-installed them, replaced the fuel/water separator on the boat, fuel pump on the motor and cleaned the fuel strainer on the motor as well. I run 89 octane pump gas from a busy gas station that sells a ton of gas.

First couple trips out, boat ran smooth, started easily and idled normally around 850 RPM. I trailer the boat and run it mainly for tubing/skiing, nearly every weekend for a few hours. A few trips ago, it took a couple extra attempts to start and idled sporadically, dying occasionally. Starting required additional choke. So...

I reset all pilot screws to 5/8 per Seloc manual and other forum recommendations and installed new OEM plugs gapped 1.0mm. The motor wouldn't stay running at this setting. I backed the pilot screws out to nearly 7/8 turns to maintain fairly smooth idle. Checked fuel/water sep for contaminants and found none. Checked each plug for spark and everything appears ok on the muffs. Took the boat out for a spin and idles kind of rough and seems to be missing on one cylinder from idle through about 2500 rpm. Once above that, there is full power and the boat tops out smoothly to 5,000 RPM. (I know the top end should be closer to 5,500, but the boat has a 13.25 x 19P prop. Should prob have a 17P for full RPM...from what I have read).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1986 Yamaha 115 missing at idle through 2500 RPM

Warm it up and then check out the compression. If compression is consistent, you'd probably want to look back at the carbs.

Has the lower unit been serviced recently? Sometimes they have bearings issues that cause friction and drag down performance.

I've got a 115 a year older than you. Unfortunately, I didn't pay close attention to my lower unit.

douglloyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1986 Yamaha 115 missing at idle through 2500 RPM

My 86 115 would need about 2 turns out from a soft seat to idle well. They were also gummed up easily by phase separated fuel.
I would keep a spray can of deep creep on board, pull out the idle jet screws and spray the straw into the jets. Pretty easy on the top carb not so easy on the bottom one. Luckily it was my top carb that took the most cleaning. The fuel gets congealed when it gets phase separated.
Have you replaced the fuel pumps?