another vro question

procraftmark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all I just got a 85 procraft with a 90hp vro rudeand my question is this, I thought i read in the owners manual that the low oil buzzer or chime would go off when i turn the key not necessarily start it, but i don't hear a thing, also does the low oil warning indictate low oil in the tank or no oil being pumped?<br /><br />thnx mark

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: another vro question

The low oil warning is a beep once every 30 seconds or so. If you don't hear it when the tank is low, then the wiring, float, or electronics in the pickup assembly are bad.<br /><br />The NO OIL flow warning is a constant on and off beeping sound.

procraftmark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thnx but my question is should it chime when turning the key , as a way of letting you know the system is working?<br /><br />mark

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I would be careful if you do not hear a buzzer when you turn the key to "ON'! It may be that the buzzer itself is bad or it may be that something is not hooked up, that should be, such as the overheat warning, vro electrics, Ect. I would find out why you're not hearing the buzzer, before running it too far. If it overheats, you won't know it until it's too late!

ob

Admiral

Depends on year of alarm controls And what all alarms you have.Early 70 hp I had came equipped with just low oil and high temp.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Only a late model replacement warning horn will beep when the key is turned ON. Back in the late 80's, you had to manually test the system to see if it was operational.<br /><br />Look at the horn, if it has a separate ground wire hooked up, it should beep once for you.

Philby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What year engine ?<br /><br />Ground the brown wire to the heat sensor under the hood. The buzzer should sound.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The 85 90 HP, only had low oil and overheat warning. The early VRO pumps did not have a no oil sensor. Im not sure what year OMC came out with the no oil warning, the pumps had a tag with VRO2, retro fit kits to upgrade early engines came out sometime 1989.