growling noise while turning

100%lemonhead

Recruit
Hello there, im new here and in a bind, looking for some help, i have an 03 chaparral 254 sunesta with a 5.7l gi-d volvo penta with an SX drive, while underway i strted to notice a growling noise while turning either rt or lt and as the trip got longer (12 days) the noise got louder, the noise started about 4 days into the trip, my gut says its a u-joint thing, i repaced the gimbsl bearing at end of last season... anyideas would be helpfull snd thank you

vwbugman69

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: growling noise while turning

Sounds like a gimbal bearing. I would pull the drive and see if there is water in the bellows, which would cause your new gimbal bearing and ujoints to go bad.

tpenfield

Staff member

Since you replaced the gimbal bearing last season, let's go for the u-joints now. sounds like u-joints.

100%lemonhead

Recruit

Thanks guys for the info, yesterday I looked into opening up the bellows and come to find out the bellows was loose so when I pulled back the bellow the u joints was pretty rusted, so now I know where to start, I haven't got to the gimbal bearing yet, hopefully that is not bad

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If water got in there, you need to replace it.

100%lemonhead

Recruit

My mechanic just informed me tht not only the u joint assembly and gimble bearing are bad, as well s he says that the top end of the drive needed to be redone/resealed due to the u joint assembly putting it out of wack.... i dont understand what or how tht is affected, is there something out there that shows how to reseal/rebuild the top end of an sx drive?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

With water in the bellows, you can wipe out the seal going into the drive. You probably got water in your drive as well.

This is why you need to pull your drive every year if you don't already do so. Need to see if there is water in the bellows before it has a chance to do the damage that you are seeing now.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

With water in the bellows, you can wipe out the seal going into the drive. You probably got water in your drive as well.

This is why you need to pull your drive every year if you don't already do so. Need to see if there is water in the bellows before it has a chance to do the damage that you are seeing now.

And change the bellows every 4 or 5 years so it doesn't get water in it.

You do grease the coupler splines yearly don't you? Would hate to have to tell you that you need to pull the engine to replace the coupler for lack of grease on a yearly basis.

100%lemonhead

Recruit

Thank you Don S., until about 3 years ago my old mechanic had never told md about greasing the u joint shaft, since then my current mechanic had been doing it for me, i just picked up my bot from him today, i cant afford for him to repair, so i will do myself, i am very mechanical and can do it, he told me today that ineed to change the u joint, gimbal bearing, water inlet hose, reseal the drive, and add new gear oil , and alo realign the engine it was a little off but not bad, lastly i have owned the boat for 10 years now and this is the first issue ive had with it