Fastwin Lower Unit Leak

jonbellamy

Seaman
So I've recently been given an Evinrude Fastwin '68 that i'm about to sink in the bottom of the lake haha. Haven't been able to get it to run right since i've had it. I was running it in the barrel recently and saw a frothy oil/water like liquid coming from the two screws in the oval in the lower unit. I added a picture (of someone elses motor) and circled where the substance is coming from. Is this more bad news? What's likely the cause? Bu4tps0.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fastwin Lower Unit Leak

Likely just unburnt fuel/oil mixture. That is just the access panel to get to the shift rod coupler. It is in the exhaust cavity, where the exhaust/cooling water and unburnt fuel/oil is dumped. I wouldn't worry about it.

Not to say your gearcase isn't leaking as well, but not because of what you see there.

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just so you know, that is the access for the shift rod connector. When removing the lower unit you must remove the plate to access the connector so you can disconnect the lower rod from the upper rod. However, when reinstalling the plate you must apply sealant to the plate and the screws. What I'm getting at is, fuel and oil should not leak from there. Nothing bad will happen if it does, but if fuel and oil leaks out, water may leak in if the motor gets that low in the water.

Depending how much you have coming out, it should be coming out of the exhaust as well. You may be running it a bit rich. Do you have a manufacturers manual? They are still available for this motor, just google and you should find them. I'd suggest doing a tune-up on the motor if you don't know the background of it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

There is no need to seal that access panel. Who cares if water gets in there? lol There's a ton of it already gushing through there, or at least there should be if your water pump is working.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Yeah and its so pretty! Do not shred the screw threads trying to remove that plate!!

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is no need to seal that access panel. Who cares if water gets in there? lol There's a ton of it already gushing through there, or at least there should be if your water pump is working.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but shouldn't the water being going up the water tube which is adjacent to the shift rod?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Correct me if I'm wrong...but shouldn't the water being going up the water tube which is adjacent to the shift rod?

Yes, but what does that have to do with that hatch?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yeah that is correct. Is is also gushing down through the main cavity once it has done its job and is spent. That is why it is irrelevant if the panel is sealed or not.

jonbellamy

Seaman

and on a different note......heres why its important to keep a thread on motor issues as one thread......seemingly different issues can easily be connected as one issue.

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-ev...s-wot-when-disconnected-fuel-tank-615260.html

jmo

Makes sense to me. I read the rules and guidelines and hope i didn't break any etiquette or norm around here. To be honest I only noticed the foam from the access panel when it was running in the barrel (not on the lake) and my grandpa said not to worry about it--was just looking for some reassurance. I'll be sure to remember this in the future. Do you feel like the other issue is related?