1972 Sea Ray

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
I have a boat now 1972 25' Sea Ray and it has a GM 350 Inboard engine. The problem I have is it needs exhaust replaced on the starboard side. PO said he has all the elbow pieces so can you let me know what I need? I will post picture and everything after that engine elbow on starboard side I will need.photo (1).JPG

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1972 Sea Ray

So no assistance here? Again I have the manifold top elbow you see in photo on starboard side. Everything after that leading to the exhaust port on engine I need to know where I can source the parts? PO stated he has all metal elbows so I'm guessing I need hoses, clamps, etc do I need anything special besides hose made for exhaust with correct diameter, and metal lining?

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Cannot answer your question but wonder WHY if the seller "has all the pieces" and they are serviceable why he has not fixed the motor?

Bondo

Staff member

I have a boat now 1972 25' Sea Ray and it has a GM 350 Inboard engine. The problem I have is it needs exhaust replaced on the starboard side. PO said he has all the elbow pieces so can you let me know what I need? I will post picture and everything after that engine elbow on starboard side I will need.View attachment 202062

Ayuh,.... I've never seen risers like those,....

How are we gonna tell ya what ya need, without you tellin' us what the P/O is missin',..??

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,.... I've never seen risers like those,....

How are we gonna tell ya what ya need, without you tellin' us what the P/O is missin',..??

Try reading what I asked for? Unless you didn't understand me but I need the parts for everything after the starboard riser. So I know it's a couple hoses and PO has elbo pieces. Motor over heated and I think melted the old ones. Engine has been professionally rebuilt and job wasn't complete but I plan to do so.

The only thing it's missing now is that exhaust hoses after the riser I just don't know what is the correct pieces.

Guess I can take it to local shop and have them tell me since they can then see and match to port side.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

I don't mean to sound rude I just dont like when people make me feel stupid when I did explain what was missing but suppose it wasn't clear with better photos.

If I don't take to a shop or figure it out I bring boat bak to my house this week I will at that point snap better photos and show what is missing in comparison to other side. Thanks.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Also look on port side after riser see how it has two band clamps and rubber hose.?? Where and what do I offer to complete the starboard side since that's what's missing?

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I took your picture and enlarged it, and artificially added light to the shadows--

72350.jpg

==============

Best I can tell, if the PO has all the metal parts, you should only need basic rubber hose (designed for marine exhaust) and a few hose clamps. If most of the port side is there, it shouldn't be too tough to match up what you have. It would be a good idea to remove all the port side rubber, to use as sample pieces and while they're off, replace those too...

If you find you're missing a metal elbow or two, try to find an "established" boat repair place, they're likely to have a shed full of used exhaust parts, many of which may work for what you need. For a boat as old as yours, that's what you may be facing...

A friend of mine bought an old boat shop to change into his glass shop, I was amazed at the parts there. Here's just 2 of many pics I took, first one shows some exhaust elbows on the bottom shelf, second was a shed chock full of old mostly OMC parts, much of them exhaust parts... They're out there, you just gotta find em!

elbows.jpg

risers.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

The only way to figure this out will be to take it apart and figure out what's missing..... being a 1972 with a 350 really doesn't tell us anything because we don't know what company made the marine parts and that is what you are working on... I also have never seen risers like that... no clue what you have there.... Like stated above pull both sides apart and go from there

Nobody was trying to make you feel stupid and while you may THINK you did, you actually didn't give us enough info to give you a definite answer.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Not providing enough info I will accept that. I do apologize for jumping the gun but reading that reply instantly made me think wtf! In any case you guys are all here to help with whatever there is to work with and I understand I wasn't very clear. That Kia for that information once I get boat I'm going to either A: take to shop and match parts while hooked up to truck or B: remove starboard side pieces and take to shop to match.

Do you think Napa auto parts as they do carry marine stuff may end up with that?

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

It is painted blue but I was told it was a GM350 and with a OMC stern drive :(. On that OMC part but whatever....

Bondo

Staff member

It is painted blue but I was told it was a GM350 and with a OMC stern drive :(. On that OMC part but whatever....

Ahh, yes, another Important tidbit of Info,....

So it's an OMC Stringer drive,....

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Ahh, yes, another Important tidbit of Info,....

So it's an OMC Stringer drive,....

Yes, I know and anything with the words OMC is bad due to parts supply and maybe **** poor quality. It's okay I will once I get the vessel underway attempt to track down most if not all parts I will need in the years to come. That is if any still exists lol, but I have had a couple OMC and never seemed to have problems finding plus a shop near me is advertising he services this type.

How bad is a OMC stringer?

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

I took your picture and enlarged it, and artificially added light to the shadows--

72350.jpg

==============

Best I can tell, if the PO has all the metal parts, you should only need basic rubber hose (designed for marine exhaust) and a few hose clamps. If most of the port side is there, it shouldn't be too tough to match up what you have. It would be a good idea to remove all the port side rubber, to use as sample pieces and while they're off, replace those too...

If you find you're missing a metal elbow or two, try to find an "established" boat repair place, they're likely to have a shed full of used exhaust parts, many of which may work for what you need. For a boat as old as yours, that's what you may be facing...

A friend of mine bought an old boat shop to change into his glass shop, I was amazed at the parts there. Here's just 2 of many pics I took, first one shows some exhaust elbows on the bottom shelf, second was a shed chock full of old mostly OMC parts, much of them exhaust parts... They're out there, you just gotta find em!

elbows.jpg

risers.jpg

That first picture, in that cardboard box, first shelf, second from the left on the bottom just might be the top rubber hose I need that connects to my riser lol....... Any chance that is still available and if so what is diameter :))) Kidding I may just be better to source that locally. Although you are in Utah huh, thats not too far.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Another question, what exactly comes out of those risers? Is it water that has been circulated or simply just exhaust from engine? Stupid question as I know risers are attached to those manifolds but I wanted to make sure someone wasn't trying to tell me different. Thanks.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Here is another thing I just learned by doing a little research. Correct me if I may be wrong but there appears to be no 1972 GM 350. At least not for Marine motors. They offer anything from a 1979 and up. So would this motor/block and parts perhaps be of a newer year rather then 1972? I found some riser exhaust parts on GLM catalog and wondering if what I found may be correct. It appeared in the microfishe online photo identical to my setup. I will post a link and let me know what you guys think.

http://www.glmmarine.com/pdf/Manifold_Catalog.pdf

scroll down to page 50 where it should read OMC Model 5.0/5.7L - GM 305/350 CID, V8 S.B. (1989 & Up)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

In over 40 years it is VERY likely that the engine has been swapped more than once and there is no telling what may have been changed...
Just put the parts books away and start pulling it apart, taking plenty of pics along the way.... HOPEFULLY all you will need is a couple of feet of exhaust hose from the NAPA you mentioned.

The exhaust in that engine is water cooled.... in the manifolds and most of the risers the exhaust is kept separate from the water... at the exit side of the risers the water and exhaust are mixed.... Thus rubber can be used... if the engine is run without cooling water the hot exhaust can melt/burn the rubber parts pretty quickly.

OMC was not known for poor quality... the only real downside w them is that parts have not been made for many years.... There is still some around so OWNING an OMC is not the end of the world and they are not automatically "bad" ... what we tell people around here is that you can get a Mercruiser for the same money so don't go out and BUY an OMC..... That said, My friend picked up a crappy ole bayliner with a ford 2.3 and omc cobra drive for $1000 with my OK and is now on his second summer... we figured that if it lasted 2 months it would be worth it as he would break even after selling the trailer and whatever parts were still good on the boat.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

In over 40 years it is VERY likely that the engine has been swapped more than once and there is no telling what may have been changed...
Just put the parts books away and start pulling it apart, taking plenty of pics along the way.... HOPEFULLY all you will need is a couple of feet of exhaust hose from the NAPA you mentioned.

The exhaust in that engine is water cooled.... in the manifolds and most of the risers the exhaust is kept separate from the water... at the exit side of the risers the water and exhaust are mixed.... Thus rubber can be used... if the engine is run without cooling water the hot exhaust can melt/burn the rubber parts pretty quickly.

OMC was not known for poor quality... the only real downside w them is that parts have not been made for many years.... There is still some around so OWNING an OMC is not the end of the world and they are not automatically "bad" ... what we tell people around here is that you can get a Mercruiser for the same money so don't go out and BUY an OMC..... That said, My friend picked up a crappy ole bayliner with a ford 2.3 and omc cobra drive for $1000 with my OK and is now on his second summer... we figured that if it lasted 2 months it would be worth it as he would break even after selling the trailer and whatever parts were still good on the boat.

Thanks for that advice and words of encouragement, knowing what I read on here it never swayed me away from owning one. Once you source the parts and take care of them they are good. In case I was wrong I just wanted to ask the pro's. In my experience though I have been fine with OMC and not the reason I sold mine.

I just spoke to PO, he stated that those pieces are very tough to source and that is the reason why he recommended even from his mechanic to have someone fabricate a fiberglass exhaust pipe. Is that even possible to do?

If the port side is intact I can't see why it would be difficult to get new pieces or fabricate something similar if they are not available. My question though is why after that metal riser is there a metal elbow piece that is metal? If all I need is rubber hose from riser to bellow's I think? Sound right? Where does hose go to after the riser? With that also being said he stated that the riser goes from a 3' hose to almost a 1' hose to where it goes out does this make any sense?

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

My question is I know the water comes in from stern drive via inlet hose but after the water goes into motor and comes out exhaust riser down that pipe where does it go from there?

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

With that information will help me to identify all the hoses and parts I may need. Like I said I can find the rubber hoses and metal elbow piece after riser along with clamps but where it goes from there unknown. Especially when it goes from a 3' hose to a 1' hose.

Actually does it go into that y pipe? I see that pipe is obsolete so ordering brand new if it were missing is not a option, with it being solid metal I will expect that still intact I hope. Again, I get boat tomorrow things will make better sense then. As I do recall that port side is all hooked up so parts that seem obsolete I think are still there. The others parts which is hoses and metal elbows leading from riser to that y pipe are the only thing I need to buy.