1972 Arrowglass Tarpon Transom & stringer repair

Ghotiyfish

Recruit
Hello,

Boat: 1972 Arrowglass Tarpon Mark IV.

I have been reading a lot of threads on transom and stringer repair on these forums.

I am repairing my grandfathers boat. He bought it new in 1972. The transom is completely rotten and I suspect the stringers are also rotten. The transom was replaced once in the late 80s or so. After I replace the transom I will tackle the stringers.

For replacing the transom I plan to cut the fiberglass on the outside of the boat all the way to the edge of the boat and when putting new fiberglass on wrap it around the sides and bottom about 6 inches. There is a crack on the bottom where it meets the transom that I will have to repair. This is why I plan to wrap the fiberglass around the sides and bottom. Will this create a problem or is it acceptable. The transom was made of two 5/8" and one 1/4 plywood. I plan to replace it with two 3/4" marine plywood pieces.

I should have the top off the boat by the end of next weekend. I am going to build a stand from 2X4 to put it on.

IMAG0101[1].jpg
Rotten transom

IMAG0087[1].jpg
Crack on bottom at transom

IMAG0104.jpg
Transom

IMAG0105.jpg
Top removal

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Arrowglass Tarpon Transom & stringer repair

DryDock2.jpg

If you are removing the cap why would you cut the glass off the back of the boat? Please do not do that! You will ruin the structural integrity of the hull and will never be able to regain it. Once the cap is removed you will need to remove the deck to gain access to the stringers and then you will have total access to the transom from the inside of the boat, which is where you want it. You can remove the transom from the inside, grind off any remaining remnants of the wood, fabricate a new transom and install it and then make any needed repairs to the outer skin. That's the recommended method for doing this restoration. No need to use Marine Grade, Ext Grade once encapsulated in Poly Resin and Glass will last another 30+ years.

Check the first link in my signature below for some drawings and helpful info.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

Ghotiyfish

Recruit

Wood,

That makes sense. It looks like when I get the cap off it will be much easier to get to everything. I just wanted to replace the transom before taking the deck out. Looks like I will have to build some bracing now and take out everything then start putting things back together. Thanks for the info.

rickryder

Commander

That would be the best way to go ;)