Mariner 135hp v6- bit of a fire!

groitswitch

Recruit
Hi I have been scouring the threads for info on this motor- its an 86 mariner 135 v6 oil injected outboard
serial=b155482
now im not sure but it appears to have regulator?rectifier? stamped 88825(in reverse for some reason??? which has earthed and burnt up!-this is in the centre of the block at the top- propside- to starboard of a black box of tricks which is presumably the high speed timing advance box- which should be binned right?
on the wiring diagram i have there is only one reg/rectifier? and not one on top of the block????
the "other" regulator looks fine-(ont the starboard side of the motor)- is this how it came? with two units??
anyone got the right diagram for it- modified or unmodified#?
is one a rgeulator and the other a rectfier?

the oiler is causing problems also so this is going in the bin too and we will run on premix---carb mods if we do so???

need a test procedure to check the stator - found it already but some help woulkd be helpful as i now have no spark after the fire and im wondering what else may have been cooked- it seems to have been caused by its earthing through the rear of the regulator????
it sits neext to the "advance whatsit thingammy useless thing that should be removeed too" removed- and any way to get more oomph out of this motor? oiler shouldbe binned also and timing set to 23 degress -this iknow from lurking here.

that is if i can get it running again...
now i need to find out which ator its running? stator sorry? 16 amp or 40 amp- with the daisy chained regulators presumably its been upped to a 40 amp? and an idle thing must be cast asunder too if it still has one right?
can post photos but you are all so clever you probably wont need them but a how to thread on this procedure would be a nice legacy for your help...
if there is one already can someone show me the way???

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Mariner 135hp v6- bit of a fire!

That s/n comes up as:

MARINER - (135 H.P. (1986 ))
Serial No: 0B155482 Model No: 7135826

Parts and Service Bulletin list for s/n 0B155482:

Search Results - Crowley Marine

You can see items 17/37 under WIRING HARNESS, STARTER SOLENOID AND RECTIFIER as the Rectifier and VR with there being one of each. However, you will see that there are two switchboxes as item 2.

The service manual you require for this engine is p/n 90-976583

In the interim, here is a link to the condensed version of the Clymer manual which will help you with the basics. Download it soonest to your computer as the link is short lived.

Small Engine Repair Reference Center Home: MARINER - MARINER 135, 150, 150 MAGNUM, 150 MAGNUM II, 175 AND 200 HP.

Wiring diagram, also in the Clymer manual:

http://www.maxrules.com/oldmercs/Wiring/1966ona/79_88_V6.jpg

As far as the stator is concerned, do you have a p/n for the installed one? The originals are 16 amps. Stator testing is on page 215 of the condensed service manual.

Here is a link to the CDI troubleshooting guide. I think page 83 is applicable to your engine.

http://issuu.com/cdielectronics/docs/troubleshootingguide

Gerry

Last edited:

groitswitch

Recruit

I have the clymer manual already - problem is the wiring diagram does not match the maxriules one- it matches the one in the first link...
the one in the manual has just the one box- the other has too- its part 88825 and not present on the clmer manual? who writes a manual for every outboard? crazy? bound to have some omissions?
is there a proper manual? instead of clymer one?.
you have linked me to two different wiring diagrams and now i am more confused as the advance boxes arent on it??
help!
pleaze!
and the regulator is by the by really-just a stator test and swap out i hope-
what i really want to know is how to get rid of all the idiotic "extras" that will eventually fail such as the timing advance and the oiler - the sender sticks everytime you tilt it! and the timing advance is the electronic equivalent of a spanner in the works if it fails anmd will destroy everythin else.
Its nlt the basics im having trouble with!
its the fact that finding a manual for an outboard is the hardest part of fixing one!
many thsnks for the help!
i haev a full set of manuals for the 9.5A 12A and 15A yammy mariners and parts lists if there is a repository for such knowledge.
And im not falling for the "we can sell you the scanned manual scam either- so dont even look at my wallet.

carholme

Rear Admiral

On one hand you are asking for help and I gave you as much as I could find including the p/n of the OEM service manual. Do you know what RTFB means? And as for scams or looking at your wallet, I have no intention of either! Maybe when you are asking for help, you could cut the comedy routine and try to be as clear and concise as possible.

Gerry

groitswitch

Recruit

Sorry Gerry- i apologise- the wiring diagram just shows the components on one and not the other- i know what im looking at now- its a fried 88825 regulator 12v- 16v range @9?amp?
so instead of forking out 160 for the part from the con artists i have found out i can just bang a heavy duty regulator
or regulator rectifier combo in from a v8 car or somesuch- the guy on the forum recommended one from an oldsmobile- would there be a european equivalent that folks already know works?
ill just build my own if i have to but the price fixing in this industry must drive you crazy!
160 quid for a part that is 3 quid in components???? i mean wtf???
seriously??? its a shameful industry consigning motors to scrap heaps just to to make a 157 quid markup on a part??? sells morte motors i suppose...but...try that in the car industry and the aftermarket guys will eat you alive- sierra and mallory etc just carry on with the pricefixing- shameful.
it will be last outboard i fix fior sure- just not worth it- they are erssentially disposable motors now what with the pricing of spares.
and just getting a manual without someone wanting a pound of flesh for it is nigh on impossible.
hopefully this site might change a few things regARDING SPARES PORICING AND MARKUP- 40000 BOATERS HAVE A LOT OF POWER!