Made My Day!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
My Glastron V153 was always on a way too small trailer with 8 inch tires. When I bought the trailer way back in 1967, it was rated for 500 pounds and was always about 2 feet too short for the boat.

Recently I acquired this E Z Loader roller trailer. However, the rollers were in bad condition and too few. Additionally, The roller perches were aluminum and broken or badly corroded. SO: The decision to convert to bunks came naturally. AND: The frame rails were spaced just about perfect to match the strakes on the hull.

Two 8 foot 4 X 4s and a couple of pieces of hardware and VOILA' a done deal. The bunks were ripped to 22 1/2 degrees on my table saw to match the bottom. Two center rollers were added to the axle carrier frame to ensure hull centering during retrieval.

Now, of course, I was in a hurry to try it out and, of course, I had no carpeting. So, before setting the boat on the bunks, I sprayed them liberally with Pledge. Bunks will be carpeted later.

Today was the test. The 12 inch tires tracked beautifully, bearings were quiet and smooth, and the boat simply rode much better. At the launch ramp with a relatively easy push, it slid off slicker 'n snot. WOW! That impressed me. I expected to need to grunt a bit. Coming back onto the trailer, it tracked straight and the bigger winch made retrieval easy.

All in all, it was a successful conversion. It's the little things that make me happy. Like Hannibal on the A Team used to say: " I love it when a plan comes together."

104_7301.jpg104_7302.jpg104_7303.jpg104_7304.jpg102_6448.jpg

DANG! Those 8 inch tires and wheels are brand new: They have less than 50 miles on them. Oh, well. I'll find a use for them.

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Made My Day!

Gotta love those times when things work out exactly how you wanted them to. Congrats.

reeltime170

Cadet
Re: Made My Day!

Converted my trailer last week, removed all rollers and added 2, 8' bunks at the bow to center the boat in strong currents or winds. Used it all weekend, trailered it this morning, and was so amazed at how much effort it did NOT take to traler it. Best modification made yet. (Boat is 22' center console with 130 HP Yamaha)