Coil Mod part 1

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
Hello,
My 5th plug wire is too short causing it to be very taunt and rub the mounting bracket. I wrapped electrical tape around it for added protection. (see bottom of page)
View attachment 201976

So I decided to lower the coil, but first I needed to remove it.
Coil move1_0007A.jpg

I then fashioned a piece of polycabonite
Coil move1_0008A.jpg Coil move1_0009A.jpg

This is a two part post due to this forum only allows 5 attachments per post

Tom

Attachments

• 6A.jpg
    6A.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Coil Mod part 2

Re: Coil Mod part 2

I next attached the polycarbonate, made a jumper for the ground wire and mounted the coil
Coil move1_0010AB.jpg Coil move1_0011A.jpg

There you go
Coil move1_0012A.jpg

Then I added a support bracket
Coil move1_0013A.jpg

Tell me what you think,
Tom

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Coil Mod part 1

Nice thinking, Tom, but you have 5 coils with varying length wires. Was it not possible to simply switch positions with a longer wired coil?

Remember Occam's Razor? "The simplest solution to a problem is often the correct one."

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

I thought there were all the same length. Turns out that cylinder one is 17 inches long and all the rest are 12. That one should have been put on cyl 5 when the PO have it rebuilt.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

THERE YOU GO!

By the way, Tom: I recently had my 150 on my cuddy out for a shake-down cruise. That thing is a beast--It pushes that 21 footer at 42-45 MPH with me, my wife, and 30 gallons of gas. Strangely enough, the bimini acts like a wing. With it up, it lifts the hull higher and top speed increases a little over running with it down

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

Wow it's hard to believe your pushing your cuddy at the speed. In my 18 footer by myself and half a tank of gas(8gal) I got 42. Time to put on the stainless prop. Just need to get it hubbed. I got a quote from my local marina and they want $60, seems a bit much but that's the cheapest around.

Back to my original post, I took your advise and switched coils 1 and 5. Wala, it worked out great. Another thing I found out that polycarbonate starts to get malleable at 150?F Too close to my running temp of 130?-140?F

Tom

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

102_6710.jpg102_6711.jpg102_6712.jpg

TOM: You can buy a hub from HMS hubs for around 20 bucks plus shipping. I don't have the catalog in front of me but you would buy the 80 durometer for stainless. If you have access to a press, you simply press out the old hub and using an old tapered bearing press in the new. Before pressing in, lubricate it with soapy water and let sit a couple of days before using it.

At a cost of about 25-30 for the part and shipping, 60 bucks for the prop shop is not unreasonable--if you don't have the equipment to do it

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Just looking at your original problem/question I came to that exact same question that Frank asked. It was quite obvious from just the pictures... But either way you got it figured out and working... That's all that matters. Happy boating. :)