Cuddy Remodel (OK to remove floatation / soundproofing??)

ban724

Recruit
I have a question about changing the layout in my cuddy (1989 Baretta 200 Success). At current, it is tight in head-space, with no room for anyone to comfortably sit inside. I pulled back the carpeting to see what lay beneath, and as I expected it is all floatation. My question is if it is possible to remove this floatation, use a simple truss system to carry the forces in the now vacant area, and replace lost flotation in a different location. It seems that this cuddy is packed with floatation, I assume the under decking is as well, but the gunwales are not. As I understand the Archimedes principle, floatation is not what is keeping this boat afloat but rather the shape of the hull and its ability to displace its own weight in water. If this is correct, it would be safe to continue with my plans.

I posted about this on a local forum (Pittsburgh) and it was suggested that I may not be seeing floatation but rather sound proofing. I may try to take a sample and see if it floats, and how long it does so before becoming absorbent.

I have a background in engineering (civil) so while I am aware of scientific principles, forces, loadings, I deal with bridges not boats. I am curious if someone who has a more related background can help me out.

Thank you!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Cuddy Remodel (OK to remove floatation / soundproofing??)

If you intend to sleep in the cuddy (must be its intended use if you can't sit up in it) you will likely want the sound dampening.

Like this '89 Baretta Success:
00small74253889.JPG

Are you sure it's not insulation? More like fiberglass batts? If you sleep aboard in cooler weather, you'll notice the insulation missing.

Pix would help

Foam may have also added structural support to the fiberglass behind it, not just carrying it's weight.

Like the bridges you work w/: Removing some portion of the road deck's thickness can't be overcome by just increasing the size of the support members below. You might have to add support in the open span between the structural support beams to make up for the reduced material above the beams. <<< Does that make sense?

How much, what kind & what size isn't an easy answer.

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Cuddy Remodel (OK to remove floatation / soundproofing??)

Before you get too far, keep exploring what is under your floor. I'm sure you'll find some bulkheads and stringers an inch or two under that foam. Bulkheads and stringers are structural.

I''ve owned a few 19'-22' cuddy cabin boats. The cuddy's are all small, not really for sitting. More for porta potty, storage, etc. I had a Wellcraft that had all cushions in there -- OK for the 4' kids to nap or get out of the sun, but not really functional for adults. It is just that style of boat.