Install Gear lube reservoir to Gen II Alpha 1992 3.0

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Is that something that would require major disassembly of the transom plate? Or can it be done with the engine in the boat.

My 92 3.0 did not come with it. As I understand it was on the 4.3's and larger but not the 3.0.

Shift shaft seal went on my 3 year and 3 month old SEI drive - lost gear oil and wiped out the upper. I'm thinking I need something more than luck next time, 'cause I don't seem to have much of that lately (I checked the gear lube the day before the failure)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Install Gear lube reservoir to Gen II Alpha 1992 3.0

None of the early Gen II's had the reservoir. The gimbal housing was not machined with the hole for the bulkhead fitting. Never heard of a kit to install one, so there may not even be a boss in the area to machine one in.
You could add one of the round models with the hose hooked into the side of the drive like the earlier models did.

alldodge

Staff member

No expert but I can find all the components used to install the bottle for your year drive listed, just don't know if it can be done with the engine removed. There appears to be plugs installed if the bottle was not.

Sorry must be mistaken but I can find the listing in the exploded view for the Alpha 1 GEN 2

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

No expert but I can find all the components used to install the bottle for your year drive listed, just don't know if it can be done with the engine removed. There appears to be plugs installed if the bottle was not.

Sorry must be mistaken but I can find the listing in the exploded view for the Alpha 1 GEN 2

I actually found this kit-
squarebottlereservoir_zps1aa74446.jpg

My bellhousing does have the 1/2" hole they refer to- it goes in, then turns downward and ends on a flat boss, but is not drilled through- would have to be drilled and tapped from behind... might be best to do this during the next bellows job. Remember my luck thing? Drill bits and bellows in close proximity a baaaad idea for me. There appears to be a corresponding hole on the gimbal housing with a pipe plug in it- so I suppose a factory install is do-able.
Maybe I'll take that plug out of the gimbal housing and see where it enters on the engine side.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Does your gimbal housing have a place for the thru hull fitting, and does the upper have a place for the fitting on the drive side.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

yes and yes. So it seems I just need the dribble valve, install it into the bellhousing's spot, take the plug out of the gimbal housing and install the adapter and bottle etc.
The upper has the fitting- well, this upper's going in the scrap metal bin, but the new one will be the same.