Johnson 60hp setup

jneilson

Recruit
Hi, I'm new to boats, but not mechanical things. I bought an old Alumacraft 14' runabout and a '71 Johnson model 60esl71c. The boat an one time had a Merc on it that the previous owner removed. I have the Johnson on the boat now and I connected it to the old cable/pulley steering, is that ok? I installed the Johnson throttle controls and hooked up the electrical wiring. I haven't connected the throttle cable, but the throttle on the boat seems really stiff.
I can't get the starter to turnover, it has power in the battery, the electric choke is working, just nothing to the starter. When I bought the motor it was on an old boat and it started and ran fine then. What am I missing?
Thanks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 60hp setup

Welcome to iboats :welcome: ...

When you turn the ignition key do you have voltage at the starter solenoid? That is your first priority. Also make certain you have a good ground from the battery to the engine as well... Post back with answer AND post some pictures for your project boat setup...

jneilson

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. Here are some pictures:
20130707_103240 (800x600).jpg
The wiring
20130707_103500 (800x600).jpg
The steering. It seems to work fine, but it is different from the setup on the other boat.

Also, how can I tell if the motor is in neutral? I have the throttle cable hooked up and it seems to be working fine, I just can't tell if it is in gear or not.

w2much

Lieutenant

IS that an electric shift? If so turn the flywheel with the plug wires disconnected it should be in forward(default on the electric shift). Neutral, push the neutral button on the control box and it should go to neutral. You can also cross wires ect to get that motor into neutral but that is a different can of worms.

jneilson

Recruit

I don't think it's an electric shift.
20130707_103519 (800x600).jpg
Is this the proper type of control for it?
Thanks

w2much

Lieutenant

That is a Hydro electric shift control box.Yours uses an electric push button control box. Did you see that box work on your motor?, did you see it shift? Your harness (engine ) has a yellow plug correct? What color is the control box plug? I do not know how to use the hydro electric control box on the electric shift engine. Not sayin it can't be done just do not know anything about it.

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your motor has electro-hydraulic shifting. The dog clutch in the gear case is actuated by a piston with hydraulic pressure. There is an oil pump in the gear case driven by the forward gear, and two solenoids control the oil pressure to move the piston/dog clutch. By default a spring forces the the dog clutch in the forward position. So when the engine is not running the prop moves together with the motor in the forward direction. Similarly, if none of the solenoids are actuated, the the forward gear is engaged. For neutral one of the solenoids are actuated, for reverse both. The reason for that is if any or both of the solenoids fail to be activated you still have forward, you can get home, and also the solenoids are not continuously activated (one usually goes in the forward direction most).
The control box moves the throttle cable and activates two switches to energize the solenoids based on the position of the throttle lever.

Peter

jneilson

Recruit

I can't tell if it's switching into neutral or reverse. I'll get the battery charged, I'm suspecting it's low. The choke and the lights work, but I get nothing from the starter.

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

In neutral the green wire (and its solenoid) is energized, in reverse both the green and blue wires are energized.
There is a connection to the solenoids on the left side of the engine, at the bottom of the powerhead, where the wire goes down into the leg. You can disconnect those blade connectors and measure if you are getting the 12V from the control box.
You could also measure the other wires, the ones going to the solenoids, the solenoids should have about 4 - 6 Ohm resistance between each wire and the ground.

Peter