trailer wheel almost fell off.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi, i have a old spectrum 17' with 85hp force ob sitting on the original trailer.
the last time i use it i notice the grease is flying out of the wheel and it is burning hot. so i finally open it and see what happened. the bearing is gone and the wheel is loose. i manage to take the hubs out and are now wondering where to get the parts for it. i have no idea what parts to use as this is my first trailer. here is the infomation , hopefully you guys can help me.
on the hubs it has "w-8""280??262" on it. i think i need to replace the whole hubs.

I have attached the pictures. Please let me know where can I get replacment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: trailer wheel almost fell off.

hi, i have a old spectrum 17' with 85hp force ob sitting on the original trailer.
the last time i use it i notice the grease is flying out of the wheel and it is burning hot. so i finally open it and see what happened. the bearing is gone and the wheel is loose. i manage to take the hubs out and are now wondering where to get the parts for it. i have no idea what parts to use as this is my first trailer. here is the infomation , hopefully you guys can help me.
on the hubs it has "w-8""280??262" on it. i think i need to replace the whole hubs.

I have attached the pictures. Please let me know where can I get replacment.

I see no reason to replace the actual hub. Just buy the bearings and grease seal (maybe even in a kit) for your hub and axle size and change out the bearings and races, grease everything up and install the rear grease seal and put it back on... I see no problem there... If you don't know the correct size to purchase, measure the shaft at both ends (outer diameter and diameter at the inter section) and take those measurements AND the actual hub to your local auto parts store and get all the new parts... :joyous:

HopinImFloatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there is a sticky at the top of the "trailers and towing" page for bearing sizes.Just measure your axle shaft diameter. As long as the inner bearing races didnt spin inside the hub and damage it they should be re-useable. The bearing chart will give you the proper bearing number and seal number. The new bearings will come with a new inner race to hammer into the hub, they are just a light press fit. Hammer the old races out from behind and install the new ones with a race driver preferably but a punch can be carefully used-yours are probably very scored.

Notrab

Cadet

if you have a northen tool buy you go in to see them they will have it on the self as a complete kit or as parts the carry complete hubs as well

Notrab

Cadet

they have a store in lenexa12120 W. 95th Street
Lenexa, KS 66215
Phone: 913-752-9119
Fax: 913-227-4865
Hours:
Monday - Saturday
8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Sunday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
hope this helps

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bearings are cheap enough. Just take a trip to your local auto parts store, bring the hub, and they can help you find what you need.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

there is a sticky at the top of the "trailers and towing" page for bearing sizes.Just measure your axle shaft diameter. As long as the inner bearing races didnt spin inside the hub and damage it they should be re-useable. The bearing chart will give you the proper bearing number and seal number. The new bearings will come with a new inner race to hammer into the hub, they are just a light press fit. Hammer the old races out from behind and install the new ones with a race driver preferably but a punch can be carefully used-yours are probably very scored.

You NEVER use old bearing races with new roller bearings. Those bearings failed for a reason and the races are likely toast as well. Drive them out and replace them. If you don't know how, any NAPA store will do it for you for a reasonable fee. Bearing part numbers are stamped on the races and the bearing cages. If they are not readable, measure the two areas on the spindle where the bearings sit. That's all that's needed.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Look closely on the bearing cages and races sometimes you will just barely the numbers. Clean off the outer surfaces and you might have a number appear. If not they will have to be measured. Or you can take off the other hub and see what those bearings have for a number. It might be worth a look to see how they are also.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

The loosing of the wheel have cause the hubs to rub again the screw. It look fin but I am not feeling good about reusing it. I will bring it to the store mention about and se if they can figure out if I need to replace it. Thanks guy

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Never mind the screw and/or nut! Double check the spindles to be certain they have not been galled beyond use by the damaged bearings. If they are good, then a new nut and washer is no problem at all

HopinImFloatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

silvertip, i didnt mean reuse the old races, i mis worded that and was saying the HUBS should still be good unless the races spun then the
hubs may be questionable-never reuse old races. my bad

hogg

Seaman

Some trailer spindles and bearings are metric. Take the old parts with you so the counter guy can measure.:)

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I agree that the spindles are far more likely to be ruined when bearings fail than the hub. Check the spindles when you get the new bearings. I'd almost guarantee the spindle has damage.