help please

mhawk71

Recruit
I just gota 1977 wellcraft suncruiser and for its age doesn't seem in bad shape my question is if I go around the outside of the boat above the water line I can push the fiberglass and it moves a little but below the waterline its stiff and wont budge is this normal it does it all the way around the boat the transom is solid where the outdrive is but above the swim platform same thing I hope its not wood rot all the way around the boat the top deck is solid and I can walk out on the bow its solid just the sides flex above the water line any help would be appreciated

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: help please

Post pics of your boat for the best help.

The difference above and below the waterline on the sides is more than likely due to the structural components and floatation foam below deck, these add a lot of strength.

Your transom should be of concern, it should be strong from top to bottom. Check your transom for rot by drilling bore holes on the inside and check the shavings, dark and moist = rot... light and dry = good.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: help please

Yes, a bit more info would be good and maybe some pics to go along with it.

You may be finding the point where the floor meets the hull, and that is a stiff point. The rest will flex a bit as it is just about 3/8" of fiberglass laminate. So, it is a metter of how far you are able to push the hull sides in, etc.