fuel pump merc 5.0

lruthstrom

Recruit
where is the electric fuel pump on a 2005 Rinker 212 Captivia 5.0 MPI located? My engine is starving for fuel under load only. It surges slows down and picks up like it is starving for fuel. Help! Mechanic says maybe trash in fuel pump. Gas? water seperator filter looks clean.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: fuel pump merc 5.0

We could really use your engine serial number because there are a few different types. Not knowing they are usually on the port side of the engine down by the oil pan. Look for a plastic rectangular cover.

It could be trash in the pump, fuel/water seperator filter, clogged pick up tube in the tank or other fuel line restriction. The filter may look clean but when was the last time it was replaced?

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: fuel pump merc 5.0

On my 5.0 MPI it is on the port side under the exhaust manifold. I have the cool fuel setup. I also have to remove the manifold to even see it. I would definitely check the pickup tube and anti siphon valve first if you have changed the filter. Just looking at the filter won't tell you much. Also make sure your vent line to the tank isn't clogged.