Mixing oil

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1975 40-ph Johnson outboard motor I have ran the motor on pennzoil two cycle oil ever since I've had the boat. Today I couldn't find any pennzoil so I bought quakerstate two cycle oil. I filled the tank with 3 gallons of gas and poured the recommended amount of oil into the can. So know I have 3 gallons with pennzoil and 3 gallons with quakerstate. My motor stopped running while I was out on the lake and won't restart. I had to use the trolling motor for a 1/2 Mille into the wind to get back. Glad the battery didn't die. Now my question is would that have messed my motor up using two different oils?

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mixing oil

Darn I was hoping that was it. Well I quess there is something else wrong with it. Thanks

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Is the new stuff TCW 3 oil, If it is then its fine

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

2 cycle oil like for chainsaw or lawn mower ...or outboard 2 cycle oil ?

KDewees91

Cadet

I had a '75 Johnson at one point. Pretty good reliable motor. I would check to see if the plugs are fouled or if the stator went bad on it. That's what happened to mine. They usually go bad without warning.

Hope this helps brother

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

When you say 'stopped running', did it quit running, or did it sieze? As long as both oils were TC-W3 mixed at 50:1 they weren't the problem