Constant Alarm when key on Johnson 115 1994

whitejamie99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On its maiden voyage with me at the helm (just bought) my Johnson quit suddenly and wouldnt restart. Cranked fine and hard but no fire. I have installed a new ignition switch and now I get a constant alarm when I turn the key on. If I take the tan wire off the alarm, leaving the purple on the positive, it goes back to its chirp before I crank. I tested the switch and no problems and my wiring is correct after checking 4 separate times. Any ideas why the constant alarm?

I am in the process of troubleshooting the kill circuit and think that might have been what went out on me in the lake.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Constant Alarm when key on Johnson 115 1994

(Odd Soundings Of Warning Horn)
(J. Reeves)

Should the warning horn beep constantly when the key is turned to the ON position rather than sounding just a short beep as it should, do the following test.

Remove the TAN wire from the horn. If the constant beeping continues, the horn is faulty, in which case replace it. However, on the other hand, if the beeping stops, something has gone wrong with one of the sensor components at the engine, in which case start disconnecting the TAN wires that are connected to the various components (Heat Sensors, VRO, Vacuum Switch if so equipped, Oil Tank). Disconnecting a unit and having the beeping stop...... you've found the faulty component.

NOTE: The small black plastic horn that has a built in black ground wire...... The TAN wire must be attached to the terminal closest to that black wire. Otherwise weird things will happen.

whitejamie99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Taking the tan wire off and the horn operates as normally. When you turn the key on it beeps once and then silent. Tan wire is closest to the built in black ground wire. My VRO is disconnected. I have disconnected the heat sensors and I still have the continuous sound when I turn the key on. I'm not sure if my 94 115 has a sensor on the vacuum switch. The only way it stops is to disconnect the tan wire at the horn. I guess I should just follow the tan wire all the way through its circuits?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

That engine will have three sensors... the electrical plug leading from the VRO pump, the overheat sensors (2), and the wiring leading from the oil tank.

So... with the horn blaring away, start disconnecting those sensor wires, one by one. When the horn stops sounding, you've found the offending sensor.

whitejamie99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Joe:
Thanks for the sage advice. Worked perfectly. Found the sensor, it was the VRO sensor that should have been disconnected. Horn now makes just the momentary bleep. Thanks again.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Okay BUT do not run the engine with that VRO plug disconnected. It could quit pumping oil altogether and you wouldn't suspect a thing until the engine seized to a screeching halt!

Something's wrong with the VRO... needs replacing or rebuilding.