New Mercruiser 470 Carb

saltydogjeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, getting my boat started, I have been through all the starting points for this engine to run. Well, apparently not because it is not running. So, I have gotten to the point where I think there is the possibility of two issues. I was trying to start it today, and would put carb cleaner into the carb. the motor would only ignite for a couple of seconds and then stop. I know there is fuel pressure at the carburetor because when I loosened the connection fuel squirted out. Since this is a new carb, is there anything that needs to be fine tuned? I saw a flat head brass connection on the bottom of the carburetor that I've tried screwing inwards and outwards. Is this just patience and continual starting to get this thing going? I've probably turned the engine over 30 times. I'm getting worried for my batteries.

Edit: I think the second issue could be on the ignition side. But obviously if it runs for the 2 seconds from the carb cleaner, then I don't think it is a spark problem.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: New Mercruiser 470 Carb

That screw is your idle mixture adjust. Turn it all the way in until it seats lightly then turn it back out 1 1/4 turns. That should get you running. Try putting a little gasoline down the carb throat to get it running, don't want to wash the oil off of your cylinder walls with carb cleaner. If you don't think you have a ignition problem, then you don't know that you don't. Make sure that your points and coil are functioning properly (especially the points).

saltydogjeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I replaced the ignition coil previously. I took a look under the distributor cap and all the points look clean, not worn, but underneath is pretty dirty, such as where there is a small capacitor. What is this area for? How can it affect?

Thank you,
Jeff

saltydogjeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW. I replaced the spark plugs and set the gaps between 0.035 and 0.040. The previous gaps were at: 0.038, 0.033, 0.022 and 0.029. The engine started running longer than previously attempted, but still, I guess the right word is "throttled out".

saltydogjeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright. Got the engine running. Replaced the condenser and points in the distributor. This made the engine run. Thanks iBoats for all the help!