v4 crossflow bubbleback: looking at a thermostat job: what to order?

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class
overheat alarm sounds at mid power, not at idle, and little or not at all at high rpm...

took the heads off and the passages are clean and the flow diverters are in place an in good shape. will take the foot off and re-check the water pump, but it's new with only a handful of hours on it and the telltale is strong, as is the flow out the two water-exhaust holes under the powerhead tray.

so i'm afraid i'll have to do the knucklebusting job of replacing the thermostat on a bubbleback. yuck.

anyhow, for those who have done this job before, should i just order every part that sits under the thermostat housing including the spring?
or just the thermostat, and gaskets?

of course, any tips on making this job easier are welcome. i build my own race car engines, so i'm pretty comfortable with tools, but i'm no better at working in tight spaces than anybody else.:mad:

-peter

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: v4 crossflow bubbleback: looking at a thermostat job: what to order?

Unless you're really handy with tools, the best way to get at the thermos on that mtr is to pull the power head.

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unless you're really handy with tools, the best way to get at the thermos on that mtr is to pull the power head.

thanks for that tip. i've got a hoist, so i'm game for hoisting off the powerhead.

anything else? should i order the whole kit and kaboodle or just a thermostat?

-peter

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can definatley change the t stats without pulling the power head.

something that has made it easier for me is different bolts than the original ones. The originals were 7/16 and the shop I buy the parts from gave me either updated ones or just ones they recommed because its easier to fit a swivel socket that is 3/8 vs a 7/16 in to the t stat housing area.

the bolts are the same length and thread size but use a smaller 3/8 head.

good luck

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I may be a bit late chiming in, waiting for the experts. I would get all of the gaskets, thermostats, grommets, pressure relief valves & springs. When I did the job (1986 110HP), I drilled out the hole in the valve body a few thousandths. I also notched the pressure relief valves just a smidge to allow bleeding of the water (recommended by "someone"). I pulled the "rear cover' from the cowling in order to access the thermostat cover bolts from below, as well as holding everything in place on re-assembly. I modified a few box wrenches so that they could undo the t-stat cover bolts (that's the hard part). For re-assembly, I coated the valve body gaskets, thermostat gaskets with sealant and sandwiched the whole mess together overnight so that I could install it as a package. This left only the springs and pressure relief valves as the problem on re-assembly... and it was a problem. But, I would consider it less of a problem than removing the power head (never done it, so how would I know?). I definitely needed access from above and below to do the job. I also used twist ties to hold everything together while the bolts were installed. Pics hopefully will work....1st pic is as the assembly looks as removed. 2nd pic is the board I drilled out so I could sandwich everything "glued" together, 3rd pic is sandwiched assy, 4th pic is ready to slide in. Again, problem is keeping the springs on the pressure relief valves as the bolts are inserted and tightened. 2 hands in addition to your own might help.

Tstat2.JPGAssy with clamp board.JPGClamped assy.JPGAssy with ties.JPG

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I tried dropping the lower cowl, as per OMC instructions. That didn't go quite well as planned. And damned if I was gonna pull the power head just to change T-stats, so's I broke out the grinder w/metal cutoff wheel ...

Ain't nothin a redneck cain't fix with duct tape. But seriously, I made a purty clean cut. Plan to reattatch using rivets'n a lil 'backerboard' of sheet alum or ss.

Back to the subject at hand: Yes I would buy the entire rebuild kit. Worst case you use all the parts, best you wind up with a couple spares ...?

edit. That block where the grommets go, and where the relief valves seat, is made of "Bakelite". Not metal. Don't get too aggressive in your cleaning methods & accidentally break it. Easier than you might think. Trust me ...

Attachments

• DSCN4140.jpg
    DSCN4140.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 0

Pat2009

Cadet

Where do the round thermostat gaskets go?

Do they go between the bakelite blok and the t-stat or between the t-stat and engine housing? I have seen diagrams showing both places.

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where do the round thermostat gaskets go?

Do they go between the bakelite blok and the t-stat or between the t-stat and engine housing? I have seen diagrams showing both places.

Per my factory service manual, the round gaskets go between the bakelite valve body and the thermostat, pic attached (turn head sideways to view). When I did the job, I found that the round gasket thickness was such that when the thermostat was installed, it caused the adapter gasket to be raised up off the valve body by "a bit", enough that it worried me. I guess they want it thick enough so it compresses and seals.

IMG_0173.JPG

Pat2009

Cadet

Thanks. The raised adapter gasket is what caused me to question the proper order.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I wonder if the OP ever got it repaired ??

phillnjack2

Ensign

probably not
its a real *&*^%^&d of a job to do ,but once you drop the pan or lift the powerhead its so easy.
i think a nice split lower pan would make life very easy, or a simple back door to get at them wouldnt hurt.

I wish everyone would say when they have completed the job,its like an unfinnished story and is a bit unfair to
those who were trying to help them solve the puzzle.

phill

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Well spoken.....

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tried dropping the lower cowl, as per OMC instructions. That didn't go quite well as planned. And damned if I was gonna pull the power head just to change T-stats, so's I broke out the grinder w/metal cutoff wheel ...

Ain't nothin a redneck cain't fix with duct tape. But seriously, I made a purty clean cut. Plan to reattatch using rivets'n a lil 'backerboard' of sheet alum or ss.

Thermostat Housing removal-cut alum..jpg

Do you have a picture without the duct tape, so we can see the cutout size? Do you have a picture of the completed job using rivets or whatever you ended up doing?

Last edited:

V153

Lieutenant Commander

My apologies for not answering fast as you like. Forgive me. I run a small business and thankfully have been very busy lately.

My cutout is roughly 6 1/2" wide by bout 2 1/2" high. Lil taller than it needs to be but just wide enough. Sorry it's raining & I ain't goin out to peel the tape off right now ...

phillnjack2

Ensign

just saw your pics on another thread Klink
you done a great job with the cut out, and i think youl find a lot of people copying that idea ha ha
well done,
anything that makes it easy to get those b&%^$ out is a good one

phill