3.0 mercruiser no fire

fordsohc46

Seaman
I have a 92 model 3.0 4cyl. mercruiser that has no fire. I ckd fire at the plug and coming from the coil. no fire either place. I ckd the wires on the coil and both are hot with the key on and while cranking. I thought the term. that goes to the distributor should ground through the points while cranking but I don't know much about this engine. mainly work on old cars. anyone know of some steps I can take to diagnose this. the points looked ok but I cleaned them and ckd the gap all ok. condenser doesn't look that old but the boat has been sitting for a couple years. any help would be appreciated. thnks paul.

fordsohc46

Seaman
Re: 3.0 mercruiser no fire

sorry forgot to put these #'s in the post

model #mcm 3.0 litre
serial #oc370505

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What ignition system do you have? Points, DDIS, or EST?

Don S

sorry forgot to put these #'s in the post

model #mcm 3.0 litre
serial #oc370505

That's the drive sn, not engine. Even with the engine sn, still need to know what ignition system you have.

fordsohc46

Seaman

its points. at least I think. it does for sure have points in the distributor. not sure what ddis or est is. but there is 1 set of points and 1 condenser in the distributor. those are the only numbers I could find the sn# was on the valve cover. there is one other number on the distributor: sae j1171

Don S

90% of the time, with no spark the points need replaces. There is troubleshooting and repair info up in the stickies for points ignitions.