Interpreting Mercruiser Engine Block ID

RinkerTinker

Seaman Apprentice
Hey iBoats! I have just come across something that has stumped me. I am looking to get a better understanding of the numbers in the attached picture that are on my engine block. My boat was made in 1979, it has a pre-alpha drive that I don't know the year of. I assumed the block was, like all my documents say that came with the boat, a 305 from 1979. When I plugged the ID number into a parts service it said this block was from 83'? I know that with this old of a boat its not too crazy to expect newer parts undocumented. I'm just curious so I can get the right parts! I also am told that each part of the ID tells us different things! All I have found is the F is the engine plant code for Flint (motors), and GM is General Motors. Very sorry if this information is already here and I did not spot it! Can anyone help me clarify this! Thanks!photo (1).jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Interpreting Mercruiser Engine Block ID

Ayuh,.... Where, Exactly is that number,..??

The castin' number is on the bellhousin' flange of the block, 'n it can be looked up to give ya a range of years it mighta been cast,...

There's no where near the info available from it ya think there is,...

The numbers Stamped in the leadin' edge of the Deck, just ahead of the head, starboard side tells ya Where, When, 'n what vehicle it was in originally,...

alldodge

Staff member

This looks like the Flint serial number of the block.

RinkerTinker

Seaman Apprentice

That one is on the top center of the block set in behind the carb... so that was not the Block ID! That's good news maybe...! That means that one of these may be it! I have hunted up and down for a stamped in number but maybe because it has been painted so many times it may be lost... I have never seen these two until now and they may be useless too! I appreciate the help! If it is not these, I will have to wait until I pull the engine to do better hunting for that stamped number.IMG_0239.jpgIMG_0240.jpg It appears that the first one indicates April 79', do these have anymore useful information?

alldodge

Staff member

Block # 14016381...305...80-84