Fairly basic recarpeting/fiberglass project

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all,<br /><br />Prepping for a flooring job in the next couple weeks. Would like to put a bit more info together.<br /><br />-- The only marine carpet I found at Lowe's/Home Depot is 12 oz. and 6' wide. I can't access the boat right now to get a measurment on the floor, but the beam is 7'3" and given the slope of the sides I don't believe the floor is over 6' wide. Think the 6' carpet will get it done?<br /><br />Fiberglass - As a whole I believe the floor is in decent shape. It's not mushy anywhere, but it does flex in a couple places. I would like to put a couple layers of fiberglass down in these spots. I'm thinking 2-4 layers, no more than 2'x 2'.<br />The only other glass work I'm planning is around the ski storage opening. I'd like to reduce the size of the opening slightly because several of the screws in the aluminum trim have stripped the wood in the floor, and because the lid is really loose fitting in the opening anyway. I'm probably going to do 2 or 3 layers a few inches outside the circumference and then wrapping down around the edge.<br /><br />The only fiberglass product I've used personally is the bondo stuff at the car parts stores and the bondo polyester resin. Being that I need 4 yds or so I though I'd order glass and resin from us composites.<br />-- My problem is I don't know what weight the bondo stuff is and what weight I need to order from US composites, and I'm not sure what type of resin would work best.<br /><br />I'm also considering slapping down a layer of some sort of sealer, maybe like the stuff used in the bilge, just as a precaution since I'll have the floor up anyway.<br />Good idea? Product ideas?<br />Waste of time/money?<br /><br />Sorry it got so long. Hope someone can help me out.<br /><br />TIA

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Fairly basic recarpeting/fiberglass project

You have decisions to make and solutions to choose from. As the previous poster stated, pictures will help others to give you better advice. <br /><br />I have recently used the same carpet from Lowes. It works fine. You will need to measure the actual dimensions of your floor to determine if the 6' width is sufficient. It probably is. <br /><br />You don't want to use bondo. If laying glass cloth is a solution that you want to use, you will need to purchase some general marine epoxy resin and hardener. Epoxy resin is different from the polyester resin that you are familiar with. Epoxy will be a better choice for your repairs.<br /><br />Did you already pull up the carpet? If so, what did you find under it?<br /><br />Does the boat leak or has there been any evidence of water under the floor?

Realgun

Commander

Those squshy spots are bad news. You really want to be sure those are the only problems. I thought the rear of my boat was solid till I took up the floor. It was bent about 1/2" below stringers!. And I really thought it was solid!

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by fishingdan:<br /><br /><br /><br />You don't want to use bondo. If laying glass cloth is a solution that you want to use, you will need to purchase some general marine epoxy resin and hardener. Epoxy resin is different from the polyester resin that you are familiar with. Epoxy will be a better choice for your repairs.
From us composites:<br />"404 is an isophthalic polyester resin that is used where strength and durability is a must. Experiences lower shrinkage and a higher heat distortion temperature than orthophthalic type polyester resins. Used extensively in boat hulls and in fiberglass mold construction."<br /><br />And -<br /><br />"435 is our most popular resin for marine applications. Excellent for all types of fiberglass lamination, layup, and repair work. Good strength strength and nice wet out make this resin very popular."<br /><br />Based on that info I came to the conclusion that poly would work. I guess I should read up on some epoxy.<br /> <br />
Did you already pull up the carpet? If so, what did you find under it?
No - the boat's in storage. 90 miles away.<br /><br />
Does the boat leak or has there been any evidence of water under the floor?
The only leak problem there MAY have been was right when we bought it. The keel was banged up pretty good and looked as though it may have been soaking up some water. It was gouged through the gel coat and maybe 1/2" into the glass fibers. We patched it up with some marine tex.<br /><br />Other than that we've had no leakage concerns.