1968 North American "Sprint"

nostep

Cadet
1968 North American "Sprint".

Anyone seen this model from "North American" before (or own one)? Seems to be very rare. We picked one up yesterday. Only thing I have found so far is a wiki article about North American Marine and they showed a list of boat models from those years. That was the first place I have seen the name Sprint.

The one we have is in amazing shape. Needed new seats and could use new interior vinyl floor, but the boat is real solid and the outside is surprisingly clean. Has a 1998 Johnson 40 HP on it now.

Attachments

• IMG-20130705-00022.jpg
    IMG-20130705-00022.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20130705-00023.jpg
    IMG-20130705-00023.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20130705-00024.jpg
    IMG-20130705-00024.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20130705-00027.jpg
    IMG-20130705-00027.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 0

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1968 North American "Sprint"

She certainly looks clean for her age. I would have the seats done to match the hull as close as possible. The vinyl floor needs replaced? Just the vinyl or have you found soft spots? Don't start the seats until the floor has been fixed. Once the vinyl comes up I hope the wood base is solid. Good luck... pretty boat!

pckeen

Commander

Welcome to iboats!

Historically, many companies made boats, that either no longer exist, or have been bought out or amalgamated into larger companies. Looks like a great boat - you seem to have a great find. Are those the new seats in there?

82rude

Rear Admiral

nice looking rig.guys are correct,many companies in the 50,s and 60,s no longer exist today.look at snowmobiles ,there use to be almost 140 manufactures of them now there are 4 .

nostep

Cadet

Yes, the seats were a newer add by the guy we bought her from. I have no idea what they should look like. Anyone know how to locate any old photos? The floor covering needs to be replaced (it's crispy). We'll do that next. We're thinking of using bedliner (good or bad idea?).

pckeen

Commander

When you say bedliner, are you talking about a spray in truck bedliner or something else?

It's hard to tell from the photos, but your boat looks to be in pretty good shape. If you are replacing the carpeting, I would suggest a marine carpet or marine floor vinyl - something like nautolex. Take a close look before you begin replacing the carpet though - there may be more involved than simply lifting up the old and putting down new - you may need to remove side panels before you can get all the old up.

nostep

Cadet

Thanks for the FiberGlassics link.

The floor is currently vinyl. Was thinking of using paint-on bedliner from Grizzly Grip. Have many colors and will not fade. Looks easy to strip the old material (as it's coming off already).

swking

Recruit

1968 North American "Sprint".

Anyone seen this model from "North American" before (or own one)? Seems to be very rare. We picked one up yesterday. Only thing I have found so far is a wiki article about North American Marine and they showed a list of boat models from those years. That was the first place I have seen the name Sprint.

The one we have is in amazing shape. Needed new seats and could use new interior vinyl floor, but the boat is real solid and the outside is surprisingly clean. Has a 1998 Johnson 40 HP on it now.

Your 1968 North American Sprint is in great shape. I own one that I bought from the original owner back in 1999. This has been a great boat. It is great to find someone else that owns one. Attached please find a picture on my tan "Sprint"April Shorts and Boat 2012 010.jpg

nostep

Cadet

Awesome. Didn't know anymore were still afloat :)

What engine do you have? What state is it floating in? Ours is in Michigan.

swking

Recruit

Hello Purple Sprint owner. I am in Michigan as well. I split my time between Traverse City and Alpena. My seats are original and the engine is original. Replaced the flooring with thin indoor outdoor carpet about 10 years ago. Used 3 layers of screening material under the carpet to inhibit any fiberglass from poking up through the carpet. I have the original color glossy sales literature as well if you would like a pdf copy. Happy boating. I love my boat and cannot seems to part with it. We use it alot and take it to various places around Northern Michigan. Hope to get a picture of the boats together someday.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

As a kid my family had a North American but it was a I/O not outboard. I learned to ski and fish out of that one. I have a cousin who still has one but I'll guess it's from the 70's. Both boats were Michigan boats as well. I love the black color, but that must be hot to touch, our was deep red, it was warm too, but it looked very sharp.

nostep

Cadet

Hello Purple Sprint owner. I am in Michigan as well. I split my time between Traverse City and Alpena. My seats are original and the engine is original. Replaced the flooring with thin indoor outdoor carpet about 10 years ago. Used 3 layers of screening material under the carpet to inhibit any fiberglass from poking up through the carpet. I have the original color glossy sales literature as well if you would like a pdf copy. Happy boating. I love my boat and cannot seems to part with it. We use it alot and take it to various places around Northern Michigan. Hope to get a picture of the boats together someday.

Sorry I didn't get back to you in a while. Hoping to see Spring soon and get the boat back in the water. It would be awesome to get a photo of both on the water, or better yet, both boats pulling skiers! We're in the Alpena area during the summer.

I'd love a copy of the brochure.