Merc 850 Water problem...

gbmc

Recruit
Ok... my first time here. Just bought an older ski boat with an 850 on it. Owner said "ya just needs a new impeller". So i drop the lower unit (almost on my toe jk) and examine the old one. Hmmm seems all there... no broken bits but I decide... who knows... fatigue... it may not be operating optimally. I replace it as well as gaskets etc. Put the unit back together... nadda. Nothing out the peehole. I look at the hole... indeed. Clogged. Take some wire and get some of the bits out. Hose is off and in fact i started it without being connected to the hole and just a small dribble at best. Hmmm... I put my soft wire down the tube... nothing. I then put the wire up from where the lower unit is connected. No obstruction. I then use my compressor. No major air... just a soft breeze coming out the hole. Hmmm... i then decided to reverse the flow of water. Went to local hardware store and bought a reducer for my garden hose. The water flow is definitely gushing but coming out from everywhere... see pics.. not just the impeller hole. It's almost as if the water is getting displaced just before the cowell somehow. When i started the motor, the water was warm to the touch coming out near exhaust. I presume judging from my reverse water experiment and also starting that the water is getting through the block ok... I took it out for a small spin... no overheating. What does this all mean? I have a no pee-er? It seems like the water is splitting off in different directions and i don't really know what's going on up inside the block. Any wisdom on this would be helpful. BTW... being an 850 there's no thermostat.
Cheers
0705031805.jpg
0705031805a.jpg
0705031805b.jpg

Last edited: