Looking for Advice... to Rebuild or Part Out

erwinp

Recruit
I have a 1986 Hurricane Deck Boat that I bought over this last winter for $3600. It has a Mercruiser 170 4 cyl with a Gen 1 Alpha One Sterndrive. This was is my first boat purchase and needless to say, I didn't have the best luck. When I saw it, I took one of my neighbors with me as a hedge, but a few things were missed. The decking right in front of the rear seat is shot and stringer is rotten as well. When we looked at it, everything was frozen and didn't seem near as bad as it turned out.

Now to top it off, I started having engine issues. Compression was #1 - 80 psi, #2 - 110 psi, #3 - 0 psi (yes zero), & #4 - 80psi. I pulled the head off this today and the exhaust valve on #3 isn't closing all the way. There's heavy scoring on cylinders #3 & #4. Piston #4 has a chunk out the edge of the piston. The rings aren't completely burnt through, but its on it's way. Short story is that the motor needs to be rebuilt.

From what I can tell, I'm going to spend a good chunk of $ and time to fix everything and I'm thinking I could recoup the bulk of my money by parting the boat out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

carribbean soul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Looking for Advice... to Rebuild or Part Out

I dont know where you are but in Fl 3.0 mercruiser take outs are $500 on Craigslist and you can get a new 5.7L long block from jegs for around $1700

pckeen

Commander

Right now, your boat isn't worth much at all. Sounds like the only good thing on the boat well be the hull. There is a good chance you're transom is gone too. A restoration will be a lot of time and money. Figure $2000 to $6000 for the interior, depending on what you do, and a years work...plus the cost of the motor.

Take a look at some restoration threads

erwinp

Recruit

Fl 3.0 mercruiser take outs are $500 on Craigslist

I haven't seen any at that price, but would be interested. Plus the outdrive ratio I have (1.84) is wrong for the 3.0L. It would work for the 4.3L V6 though.

Right now, your boat isn't worth much at all. Sounds like the only good thing on the boat well be the hull. There is a good chance you're transom is gone too. A restoration will be a lot of time and money. Figure $2000 to $6000 for the interior, depending on what you do, and a years work...plus the cost of the motor.

Take a look at some restoration threads

After looking at part availability for these motors, I'm thinking I can recoup the bulk of my funds by parting out the boat. The interior is in good shape and if you'd like to see photos, I have this up: Parting Out 1986 Hurricane Deckboat

StevenT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you made a wise decision. Even the smallest barely soft spot anywhere on a deck, you can plan on new stingers, transom, along with the deck 99% of the time.