Prop size

greg crosby

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 470 3.7 in a 22ft. Starcraft Islander. Approx.2200lbs. I'm told the 3.7 1988 is good for 4200rpms. I like the sound of it better at 35-3800. 28 mph at that rpm but have at least 25% more throtle. Would like to prop it so I'm at 4000rpm WOT. Where are the pitch # on mercruiser prop? Is stainless better enough to be worth the price? Just trying to learn. Any ideas? Thanks

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Prop size

i numbers should either be on the front of the prop by the prop nut or stamped on the side of the prop between the blades.... by your numbers I'm guessing you are running a 17 pitch right now and that you can over-rev if you go full throttle ? if so you might want to go to a 19 pitch.... just totally guessing b/c we don't know your current prop.

greg crosby

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for your response. I'll wire brush it ans look for the numbers. Will I be able to see actual inch of pitch or do I have to cross reference. A cupped prop does what? Is stainless better performing or what. Are 4 blade props better? There's a lot of sales hype out there but you guys know from experience. Thanks again! Great site.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

it depends on the prop - some have the size and some have the numbers. I can help you look it up if you can't find it. EDIT: ignore the rest of my message, i thought I was answering a different post.

Last edited: