1987 Gamefisher/Force 15hp Questions

mshiff62

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all, I'm new to here and I just picked up a 1987 Gamefiusher/Force 15hp. I picked up some parts but now I have some questions.

I replaced the water pump impeller for good measure, now I go to put the lower unit on and feel as the propeller is not going all the way back against the "cage" (Piece that has 2 bolts in it, top and bottom that has the oring around it), there is a 1/4" gap between the prop and that cage because of where I put the pin in through the prop and the splined shaft. Is this normal?

I also tried to spin the flywheel and engage FWD and REV and it seems like reverse is not engaging, will this only work with the motor running? Is it like a clutch mechanism inside there that only engages when it runs? The shift linkage that is on the lower half may have been turned a time or two when I was cleaning it all, does this matter? Does it matter from which side the bolt goes through on that shift linkage? i.e, from carb side or from spark plug side?

I don't want to put it all back and fill it with grease and then now have it all work properly. Any help is appreciated!

Heres a few pics of what I'm talking about.. I know I dont have the bolts in the cage but even with the cabe bolted back it is still the same amount of space.

2eas7bk.jpg

r6x078.jpg

2gv0zh2.jpg

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1987 Gamefisher/Force 15hp Questions

That looks normal I have the same motor just a 9.9 as far as reverse goes, make sure the tiller handle is set at start and wiggle the prop while moving the shifter and it should engage. If not then when you put the foot back on its possible the lower shift rod might of became disengaged from the foot. and it doesnt matter which side the bolt goes in. I always put the shifter in reverse when doing a waterpump change on all motors I work on and then put back together. Hope that helps

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Brim post a pic of your lower??
If it was supposed to be a gap it would be painted all the way in??
You should be able to shift if your turning the prop.
Sounds like the shift isin't all the way in and isin't making contact??
Take it back apart and try again???

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In the pics it doesnt look bolted down. mine doesnt have that big of a gap I just looked.

mshiff62

Seaman Apprentice

"Heres a few pics of what I'm talking about.. I know I dont have the bolts in the cage but even with the cage bolted back it is still the same amount of space." Yes I know it is not bolted back but even with it bolted back, there is still that much gap between the prop and the lip of the cage (where it looks silver/yellowish). Im not talking about the cage to the foot space.