Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha Starter Wiring Confusion

brittles

Cadet
photo_zpsad7d9b35.jpg

Hi, hoping someone can help me out.

Does this look like it's wired correctly? I think it's around a 2000 model year, can't say for certain. I've got a service manual that says 1998 and up, but none of the wiring diagrams match up with what I've got.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha Starter Wiring Confusion

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... The battery wire don't look big enough, 'n I believe yer missin' the wire for the vacant terminal,...

Got yer motor's Serial numbers,..??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's wired correctly for a 3.0L.

brittles

Cadet

Thanks, yes the serial number is M092924.

I have a service manual for the 3.0L Alpha for 1998 up. Covering serial number 0L010042 and above, but none of the wiring diagrams match up with what I have.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You don't have another wire on that terminal on a 3.0L with EST ignition.

brittles

Cadet

Thanks for your help.

Since you confirmed that it was wired correctly I went ahead and turned the ignition switch. Getting one click from the solenoid attached to side of the engine. Tried jumping that with a screwdriver and nothing. I tested the battery and getting 12.9 volts. Does that sound like a bad solenoid?

brittles

Cadet

Well, thanks to Don S (may he rest in peace) and Bond-o I got this figured out. And yes, the positive cable in the picture wasn't the correct cable. Turns out someone had taken the correct positive cable end and moved it next to the battery. So all I saw were 2 positive ends next to the battery. I had both ends hooked to the battery making a loop! Got that figured out but still no cranking. Finally figured out that it was the 90 amp fuse on top of the starter. Put new plugs in and now it's running!!

Now it's on to the next problem....

Thank you.