Finally did it... Watched the boat ramp antics!

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
So for the longest time reading on forums I have heard some stories from the boat ramp. I was heading to my cousins boat, got word I had over an hour to kill and decided to stop by the local ramp.

It was roughly 9-9:30 on July 4th, at the largest area ramp, where the CT River dumps into Long Island Sound. The ramp is large, 3 lanes wide. Docks on both sides with one side having a pier that extends a couple hundred feet out. Plenty of room! The lot is big, the staging area is a good size and it seems straight forward enough. Here are some highlites and things I noted.

Number one thing, noone got their blood pressure up. No yelling, no screaming, no anger. Number two I would say 80% or more of the people were launched and ready to roll fairly quick. Some had people in the boat and truck, some single handed it.

The "worst offenders of the day":

1. A mid 20 foot single inboard. He put the boat just at the edge of the water opened the engine hatch and stood in the boat for a while. I'm not sure what he actually did, but a good 10 minutes went by and he stayed there. He blocked the far lame for this time. Noone seemed to mind. He ended up launching and they left.

2. A 20' or so center console. Looks like he left the stern straps on and had some other issues getting the boat off the trailer. Took a few minutes to get sorted, he ended up having to go in the water to get the boat off, but it seemed relatively quick and no one really cared.

One boat was on the dock the whole hour plus that I was there. Noone came from or went to it but it was a couple hundred feet down the pier and in no ones way.

A highlite was the one guy with a Formula 33 sunsport. He came in, pulled up and backed right down the center of the launch. Never even stopped (looks like he actually asked the other two waiting if he could go and got the ok but I'm not 100% sure). Boat floated off the trailer. He jumped on and fired the motors, they idled for 15 seconds or so, he unhooked the bow, spin around and pulled onto the dock. Within a minute or so he was at the truck and parked it. All in all maybe a full 5 minutes from the time I saw him until they took off down river. Looks as if he's done that before!

All in all I'm actually happy to not see any issues. As much entertainment as you'd think, I'd rather see people enjoy their boats and have a smooth, good time! Sorry for another boat ramp post, but this one was a positive one!

chimmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Finally did it... Watched the boat ramp antics!

I was pretty disappointed in this thread. I was hoping for some crazy antics, fists flying, cursing, property damage.....something!

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was pretty disappointed in this thread. I was hoping for some crazy antics, fists flying, cursing, property damage.....something!

Snicker, snort.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

X2. Hate when all goes well at the ramps on a busy holiday-- just does not seem right! What is wrong with those people?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the thing about the ramp rants here is that they apply to crowded busy ramps only, and all the sins they describe are actually conveniences at a private or empty public ramp.
For example, I always load the boat after I launch and unlaod before I retrieve, since some I launch with the axle dry and others it's easier when they are empty. For the trailers I have to dunk, I hose them off on the ramp. I've cleaned the bottom and worked on the motor on the ramp or tied up to the dock. You just can't beat the convenience. But I have never done any of these if it would interfere in any way with another boater.

chimmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's a particular ramp in Sarasota where it's wide enough for 3, but the middle would have to have someone in the boat to control while the truck pulls off. You usually see the impatient guy who bypasses the line and drops there, then takes his sweet time getting out of the ramp area with both the boat and his truck. Or, people coming back in who have no idea how to drive a boat and park right behind where someone is launching. Makes for some skillfull maneuvering by the launching boat as the idiot who docked gives them the stink eye.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'm assuming that was 9 am?

I wonder how it went at 11 pm?

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I would have called this ramp busy. From 9-10:30 or so there was a steady stream of 3 guys launching and 3 waiting.

I'm sure 11 PM would have been another story!

littlerayray

Lieutenant

on canada day i went to launch. a leo came up to me and told me i would have to wait a bit, i said no problem i gotta prep my boat first. got the boat prepped and pulled around to be ready to back in. a few impatient cars were upset with me cuz, they did not like the fact that my truck and trailer, a whole combination of 45 feet worth, was a nuissance for them to drive around. but i stood my ground and waited. came out to find out what was going, on only to see them towing a 80's era chapparel witha 125 merc up the ramp. the transom was rotten, and the weight of the motor tore apart his transom. i waited 30 minutes for the towtruck to show up, and get outta the way. btw the owner of the boat is definetly not on i boats, cuz his boat was in terrible condition. he took no pride in ownership and you could tell.