alarm cause?

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was out yesterday and boat ran fine all day mid afternoon on a long run the alarm started going off turn it off turn it back on still on got to where I need to go because of oil voltage and temperature we're all still good let it sit for a while restarted it no alarm what could be the cause. Its a Volvo 3.0 carbureted in a 2010 stingray

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: alarm cause?

It can be several things. Asuming your gauges are true, it can be the exhaust overheat sensors which means you have an obstruction in the flow of water out one or both sides of the exhaust. But just because your oil pressure or water temp gauges look fine doesn't necessarily mean that's true. Next time it goes off, get back there and disconnect the alarm switches one by one until you find the one that is tripping.

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm. But if I had an obstruction I feel I'd be robbed of horsepower. I'm a little concerned that the receptical for the flush out (garden hose) is questionable. What temp triggers the alarm? Because 160 is about as warm as it gets but a car will do 200 w/o a 2nd thought

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the gauges were reading correctly and where they normally read, then you probably have one of the alarm switches failing. Go on another ride until the alarm comes on, then check the engine with an IR temp gun and see if the engine is overheating near the temp switch or the exhaust temp switch. If ok, remove the wires one at a time and see if the alarm shuts off for one of them. Same thing with the oil pressure. Pull the wire off the alarm switch for oil pressure.
Replace the defective switch and go for another test run.