Question about Trim up function....

brandon19761

Cadet
Hello. After I had my outdrive worked on by a local shop I wasn't able to trim my boat " up" unless I used the Trailor button. I took it back to have them look at it and they are telling me it is fine and that if you put the trim in full down position you must use the trailer button to bring it back up. This doesn't sound right to me and I know the trim up always worked regardless of position before. They are trying to tell me this is how they always work except the Volvo units...
Are they right, or should I take my boat elsewhere?

My boat is a '95 Crownline 225 ccr with Bravo III and 7.4l

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Question about Trim up function....

The trim limit switch or wiring is faulty. Trim up will move the outdrive up until the switch makes (maximum up trim) and trailer switch bypasses the limit switch so the drive can be raised fully for trailering.

Did it work properly before the shop worked on it?

Yachtsman1304

Seaman

Trim up button only works for a small range from full down...to raise it farther you use the trailer button. That is how every boat I have had has worked (OMC and Mercruisers).

brandon19761

Cadet

Yeah it worked fine before these idiots worked on it. Now trim up wont work at any time only the trailer button will trim the drive up.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Total idiots, or liars. What Yachtsman describes is correct. Trim up maximum "safe" trim limit. Trailer button for beyond that. Some handles are different, and Volvos are different too, but all Mercs I/Os have a trim limit, and then some other method to get it higher. If you have a Trailer button, they are fools.

GA_Boater

100% agree with QC. The shop messed something up. What work did they do on the outdrive?

brandon19761

Cadet

100% agree with QC. The shop messed something up. What work did they do on the outdrive?

They pulled it to check the seals and also told me while they were in there that the gimble bearing could use replacing so I told them to go ahead. Trim worked fine before this.

brandon19761

Cadet

Total idiots, or liars. What Yachtsman describes is correct. Trim up maximum "safe" trim limit. Trailer button for beyond that. Some handles are different, and Volvos are different too, but all Mercs I/Os have a trim limit, and then some other method to get it higher. If you have a Trailer button, they are fools.

That's exactly what I thought. The service manager wont be back until Monday so I'm going to make sure they fix what they screwed up and I'll never go back. This is exactly why I do 99% of my own work on my sports cars. So many ignorant shops around!!

Thanks everyone!

brandon19761

Cadet

Now they're trying to tell me that it trims up about 1/3rd of the way then you have to use the trailer button to bring it up more and that is "somewhat" normal. I told them I know its not normal and it worked fine before so they had better check it out more thoroughly because I know that's not right. I think I'll end up taking it to Utah to a real boat shop and send them the bill to fix what they screwed up....

GA_Boater

If they ever fix it, I think you will crossing them off the list for future work.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Now they're trying to tell me that it trims up about 1/3rd of the way then you have to use the trailer button to bring it up more and that is "somewhat" normal.
Explain this again for us, every detail, as that actually sounds 100% normal.

brandon19761

Cadet

Explain this again for us, every detail, as that actually sounds 100% normal.

Well. That is what they are telling me now. But when I had the boat it would not trim up from fully down at all without using the trailer button....
So if they have it working to trim up 1/3rd of the way and having to use the trailer button to bring it further then its now fixed?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The trim range is controlled by the trim limit switch. Normally the outdrive will trim up a bit and then stop. High trim angles are not useful for most I/O powered boats. You must then use the trailer button to achieve full tilt. So 1/3 trim, followed by needing to use the trailer button sounds normal.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yep ^^^^

brandon19761

Cadet

The trim range is controlled by the trim limit switch. Normally the outdrive will trim up a bit and then stop. High trim angles are not useful for most I/O powered boats. You must then use the trailer button to achieve full tilt. So 1/3 trim, followed by needing to use the trailer button sounds normal.

Ok. That makes me feel better then. I've been out of the boating scene for a while now and these guys seem like bozo's so I wanna be sure.
Thanks everyone.