When to use throttle warm up lever?

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just bought a 30 horse 95 Johnson. Has electric start wih choke and a neutral throttle warm up lever. When I'm literally turning the key, where should the warm up lever be whip boat is at dock? Lifted half way or all the way up? Do I have to start the motor FIRST, Then lift the lever??? Or lever first then turn key.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: When to use throttle warm up lever?

I don't have a Johnson, Merc instead, but in principle is the same. I raise the warm-up about half way, crank and choke and release the choke when it starts. I adjust the lever for a good, fast idle about 1200 RPM for a minute or two, close the lever and go boating. When it's warm, just crank her and go. My experience, anyway.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

By trial, put the lever in the position that gives you the easiest start. Mine (Mariner) is about 1/2 way on a cold start. I have to leave it there for about a minute so it won't stall when I move it back to the idle position.

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

You guys rock.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

It depends on the motor some like it and on others you dont need to, but most dont recommend you run it over 2000 til its warmed up.

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

So 1/2 throttle at first to start it then warm it up 3/4 to fill for a couple minutes then run it?

GA_Boater

I go 1/2 up on the warm-up and pull it back to slow it down for a bit to warm.

ajax5240

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whelp... It's a Johnson. So you will have plenty of cranking time to find the right position for the throttle. Haha jk

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

only use as much as you need to keep the engine running..... If it starts and runs at 1/2 then that is all you need .... some engines will start and run fine without even using it.... and NO don't increase throttle after starting unless you HAVE to to keep it running.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I start mine about half way. I don't give it a whole lot of warm up time because I launch in a no wake creek and it is about a half mile to the river where I can open it up. I figure idleing that distance is good enough for a warm up.

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, great. Thanks again. So, to verify, the lever should be raised up maybe 1/2 or so before I turn the key. Then lower it to flat prior to putting in gear.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I start mine about half way. I don't give it a whole lot of warm up time because I launch in a no wake creek and it is about a half mile to the river where I can open it up. I figure idleing that distance is good enough for a warm up.

Unless it dies while you're on your way to the river. A partially warmed-up, CARBED motor is the trickiest to restart without flooding. I always give my engines a good warm-up period before I leave the dock. If it's gonna stall, I want it to happen there.

Ki Ki, outboards are all different and you should just experiment with yours. My 1996, 175 hp Johnson was cold-blooded. It needed the warm up lever all the way up on a cold start. When I did that it'd always light up on the first or second revolution of the starter, and I could immediately ease the lever down to a 1100-1200 rpm fast idle. The engine was in a good state of tune, carbs were clean and it ran flawlessly once it was warm enough to put the lever down all the way, and that only took a couple of minutes. Even after stopping for only an hour or two, pulling the lever up about halfway always insured a fast start.

My .02

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great info thanks. Today is the maiden voyage so I'll put the lever up 1/2 way and turn the key. See what we get. I wasn't sure if you have to turn key with lever up or down is all. Sounds like lever can be lifted BEFORE turning the key.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Great info thanks. Today is the maiden voyage so I'll put the lever up 1/2 way and turn the key. See what we get. I wasn't sure if you have to turn key with lever up or down is all. Sounds like lever can be lifted BEFORE turning the key.

Yes before....or after, or during...... It's just like the gas pedal in and old car w a carburetor you give it however much throttle it needs to run.... You CAN put the lever as high as you want to but BE READY to immediately lower it as needed to keep rpm's from racing... you want a smooth normal to slightly fast idle for a minute or two.

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes before....or after, or during...... It's just like the gas pedal in and old car w a carburetor you give it however much throttle it needs to run.... You CAN put the lever as high as you want to but BE READY to immediately lower it as needed to keep rpm's from racing... you want a smooth normal to slightly fast idle for a minute or two.
Wow I didn't know you don't run it on full throttle for a couple minutes - just run it high enough not to stall then at first- midway then lower it gradually before heading out from dock?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Wow I didn't know you don't run it on full throttle for a couple minutes - just run it high enough not to stall then at first- midway then lower it gradually before heading out from dock?

You have it. Once it's running okay with the lever all the way down you're good to go.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

correct... you never have a set place it needs to be... just set it so that the engine starts and stays running..... you MAY not need it at all

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

Back from the maiden voyage. It went GREAT. Boat started with lever half up and slight choke on second key turn. Ran like it should. We stopped a couple of times to swim for a while. Boat started first turn without warm up lever both times. It was a lot of fun, 95 Johnson had the boat moving good over 20 + mph planed out on a 14' fishing boat. Lots of fun.

GA_Boater

There ya go, Ki KI. Have fun! :D

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

30 hp on a 14'er is plenty of power. WAY back I had a 14'er for a limited hp lake and it zipped on plane easily with a 9.9!