Mercury 25 hp fuel line connections

Briwil

Cadet
A few months ago I purchased a used 1989 25hp 2 stroke Mercury outboard motor and a 14 foot Sea Nymph boat and trailer. The previous owner (a marine mechanic) ran a long fuel line the length of the boat so that the fuel tank ( a plastic Scepter tank) could be kept in the bow rather that in the stern area. The motor is always very difficult to get started after it has not been running for more than an hour and I suspect that the fuel line and connectors could be the problem because the fuel bulb often does not stay hard after trying to start the motor. I noticed that the connection between the fuel line connector (tank end) and the tank connector is not that tight (sometimes I see a bit of wet fuel around the connection and sometimes the fuel would drip once or twice if I didn't adjust the connection a certain way. I purchased a new Attwood fuel line connector (tank end) but when I tried to connect it to the tank connector, it was a different fit. I suspect that the tank connector is for a different brand of motor. It is in good shape and it is only the fuel line connector (tank end) that seems worn so I didn't really want to replace the tank end connector as well. My question is, " Do I have to use Mercury connectors at the tank end and if not could that be contributing to why I'm having starting problems. If it's okay, I'll just get a matching connector to the tank connector that is already on there. Your response would be greatly appreciated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercury 25 hp fuel line connections

Just get a matching connector for the tank. It doesn't care if the tank is for a Merc or a Tohatsu, as long as they match up.

Briwil

Cadet
Re: Mercury 25 hp fuel line connections

Thanks! I'll just get a new fuel line connector to match the fuel tank connector.