Newbie!! Question about first boat purchase.

AZSLAM

Recruit
Hello all!
My family and I are looking to purchase our first boat.
When I was growing up my dad owned a Bass tracker boat for many years so I have been on many boats, just never owned any. I am a commercial/large equipment mechanic by trade so I know my way around wrenches and motors but not very experienced with fiberglass. Also my father in law owns boats and works on them himself so I will look towards him for any repair questions. Anyway enough about me......

I saw an 88 Reinell 192 magnum today. The previous owner says he has all maintenance and repair receipts. He mentioned that he just had the transom seal done last year at the shockingly expensive price of $1700.
The boat has the Chevy 350 engine and OMC drive. New cover, new cd player, dual axle trailer, new bimini top, the interior seems to be in good condition didn't feel any soft spots on floor ect ect. The guy is asking $3500 which seems to be about right for my area.

What do you experienced boat owners think? Do you think this would be a good starter boat for a young family of four?
Any comments are welcome.
Thanks in advance!

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Newbie!! Question about first boat purchase.

I would try to find something newer than an '88. Every boat needs lots of maintenance and upkeep; the older they are the more they seem to need. The OMC drive is obsolete. Finding parts or a technician who works on it is much harder than if you had a Mercruiser or Volvo Penta outdrive.
I haven't priced many boats that old lately and I don't know you're area; but, I think $3500 is plenty high. If the boat is in excellent condition all the way around including the trailer, maybe it's worth it.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I think you can find better at that price. The OMC should be a deal killer

pckeen

Commander

Hi,

That price isn't cheap for a 25 year old boat. The transom repair is concerning, as when transoms go, other things are often a problem as well.

Do a search on the threads here for OMC drives. It will be educational.

The style of boat sounds right for you.

If you have been looking for a while, and this is the best you can find, this may be a reasonable deal. If you have only been loooking for a couple of Weeks, I would keep looking.

ajax5240

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are getting close, just go find a similar boat with an Alpha 1 drive.

$3,500 for a '88 19' boat isn't bad in my book. But I have read enough horror stories on here to never own an OMC.

AZSLAM

Recruit

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to hold off on this one for now. Maybe look for something newer without the OMC stuff.