What would YOU do?

Quick question for everyone here. I am new to boating. I recently acquired a 72 Evinrude Triumph 65 hp. I am about to have the carbs rebuilt because it is beyond my expertise which is 0% on small engines. Since this is an older motor that has been sitting, and since I am taking it in anyway.... I am sure that it would be a good idea to go ahead and replace the water pump and the lower unit oil rings (whatever they are called) So my question is, are the later two items something I could do on my own and not pay for or am I better off paying them for the labor?

skyboy2410

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What would YOU do?

If it was me I would have the impeller replaced as well as servicing the lower unit by a trained technician. Steve

some people tinker with stuff others do not. If you have no interest and you do not want to learn then let the shop do the work as it will lead to frustration. Most people have to learn to trust there own work and the trust comes from knowing how the motor is meant to run and how its meant to act so as this is your first motor you will have no idea if what you have done is right or wrong. Now with older models some mechanics will refuse to work on them then you will have do it yourself.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Some folk love messing with outboards and they sometimes cause more problems than they fix. I sure did while learning. Others love using outboards and leave the messing to pros.

You sound like the second type. Yes, have them service the water pump and foot. If neglected they will certainly cause you grief.