Timing marks question-one on damper, one on block?

TyroneShoelaces

Recruit
I have searched multiple old threads and different answers always come up with the OP usually never coming back to say the final result (One of my pet peeves about forums)

I have one timing mark on the damper pulley, and one on the timing cover on the engine. I see some folks have others with multiple marks, timing scales etc.... The mark on the pulley when lined up with the one on the block should be TDC correct? Or is that 8* BTDC? Gonna pull #1 plug and run the piston up and see what I have but would love second opinions.

If it is TDC, I need to use a timing light with advance and set it at 10* to set timing with the module grounded out correct?

Would upload pic but keeps telling me a file hosted remotely too big, even though resized to 480 wide. Weird.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Timing marks question-one on damper, one on block?

I have searched multiple old threads and different answers always come up with the OP usually never coming back to say the final result (One of my pet peeves about forums)

One of my pet peeves about forums is people posting wanting answers without telling us what kind of engine they have, or year, or anything.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

One of my pet peeves about forums is people posting wanting answers without telling us what kind of engine they have, or year, or anything.

My boat won't start....what kind is it?,,,,,,It's blue......lol......have a happy 4th!:watermelon:

TyroneShoelaces

Recruit

Sorry! That was pretty bad eh! Forgot I wasn't on my usual car forum in the engine section. Was in a hurry to get out the door off to barb b Q and fireworks. 1999 Mercruiser 4.3, Weber carb, Thunderbolt V ignition. Repowered with a new long block 2 years ago.

I'll look for the sticky somewhere about posting pics. Usually don't have any problem with Vbulletin.
DSC04441.jpg