HIN for a HIN?

merc4now

Cadet
OK heres the deal I could use a little help. Traded a scooter for a pretty decent little 14" bass type boat with trailer and running 40hp outboard merc. The Problem, no title and registration, guy said it was giving to him for some home repair and he used it on a private lake in AL. He did try to sale it once and get it registered and the dmv told him the hin had been registered in 07 in FL, but would not give the prevous owners name or address, so it could not be registered in AL without a title. I'm in FL ,so I can't register it either without a title (honestly I was just gonna part it, but trying to see all my options). The hull is fairly nice all fiberglass no major dings or nickes paints still good(gelcoat?) 85 Glasstream. Heres my main question and honestly trying to see if its been done before. Now I know this means nothing to no one and you can either believe me or not but it's not stolen. So I'd like to see if it would be possible to take a trashed really cheap boat of similar size that has AL registration in the current owners name who is selling it and cut the vin and glass it onto the glasstron. I'd really appreciate you guys honest opinons. Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: HIN for a HIN?

That would surely be illegal, M4N. Probably break several laws. Don't even think about it.

UncleWillie

Captain

Other than it would be illegal and fraud...

Unless the HIN came from another 1985 Glasstream it would be real obvious that the numbers do not match the hull.
The Make, Model, and Year are a part of the HIN coding.
Just like on an auto, You can't stick a 2008 Chevy VIN on an 1985 Ford and make it believable.

aspeck

Staff member

Used to own a garage ... Notified the police every time a VIN didn't match a vehicle. People went to jail, regardless the reason they did it. It is illegal. Don't do it.

merc4now

Cadet

parted and scrap it is, I'll tell the old guy in alabama it's a no go and can't help him.

DXN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do some more digging. I don't see why they wouldn't give you the contact information there was probably a typo or something with the HIN anyhow. Id try again with a different office and double check the numbers, Tell them you have been storing or working on the boat and need to contact the owner but don't have a correct address, and haven't herd from them in some time. I bought my boat and it turned out that it went through 5 owners before me without the title being changed! Lucky I found the legal owner and he had no problems signing it over. But that was illegal to its called "title jumping" but It was the only way. If you want to put it on public water you'll have to find the legal owner, You could file a lien to get the title but you will still have to attempt to contact the legal owner at the last know address.

EDIT: HE said the DMV said the number was registered somewhere else! That's a red flag to me, sound like a story just waiting to turn bad.

Last edited:

merc4now

Cadet

What he meant was the last person to title it was in Clearwater florida according to DMV, I honeslty don't want to put alot of money into a little boat, yeah if I could contact the guy and pay to have him send a replament title I'd be exstatic as I could easily double the money ( I dont want the boat I took as a trade to then possibly trade for a ATV(but day afer I got it guy sold the ATV cash is always better then trade), if I ever get a boat it'll be a sail boat). Main reason I ask is I have an older guy on fixed income who asked if I could find any way to get it registered he'd gladly give me a $700, plus gas delivery. Which I'm cool with as I was gonna be happy to get $400 after taking motor off and trailer and having to cut the hull up for the dump. I can't call today as its closed and most of the tax collectors offices here are always a pain and I've only had one good encounter. ( I work on motorcycles on the side and had to turn down some awesome deals due to titling and lien issuses. but it take days to get the info back it seems and they only want to help if you wait in line and see them in person. Whic I have a full time job and can't waste 3 hrs out of the day just to be told to come back or go to another office or be told can't do anything for you.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Direct from the Florida government site

When a vessel has been sold and the owner is no longer available to provide proof of ownership, how do I, as the purchaser, get information to contact the titled owner in order to obtain the certificate of title?

Notify your local tax collector or license plate agency in writing stating the problem and provide the vessel's Florida registration number. The local tax collector or license plate agency may provide the name and address of the titled owner with the necessary instructions for transferring the ownership of the vessel into your name. However, some agencies do not provide ownership information for vessels to the public. Instead, as stated in DMV Procedure TL-07, they may provide the titled owner (by writing directly to the owner of record) with the purchaser's released contact information (name and address) and any necessary instructions. The owner then has the option to contact the purchaser to assist them. You may also contact the department to obtain ownership information for the vessel owner by completing a form HSMV 85054, Motor Vehicle/Vessel Records Request. The department's mailing address is shown at the top of this form.

What should the purchaser of a vessel do if the titled owner does not assist in obtaining the certificate of title or an executed bill of sale?

A Florida court order would be required to issue a certificate of title in the purchaser’s name.

More info found by google " titling a boat in florida"
Obtain a title for an abandoned boat
http://myfwc.com/boating/waterway/derelict-vessels/claims-process-faqs/

merc4now

Cadet

Well its almost official I will try writing or calling and asking about the information given in the post above but no such help this far from customer service of local tax collector's office. Everytime it ends with "cannot release owners name or address due to privacy law".