Epoxy resin

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have been using epoxy resin on a deck replacement and other repairs. When I do lamination or mix it with filler I have no problem with it curing to a tack free surface within 24 hours but when I brush or roll on just pure resin over the cured lamination or bare wood it will not cure tack free even after several days. The temperature has been 70 to 80 during the day and 50's at night under the cover. Any ideas where I am going wrong.

Dexloy

Seaman
Re: Epoxy resin

I am no expert but...if you are using a 2 part epoxy resin, it should cure, however if you are using a resin that you add a catalist or MEKP then you would need to add a air inhibitor to the resin. There are many types of resin, finishing, laminating and epoxy. <br /><br />You can get it to cure by covering it with a waxpaper and sealing it from the air or by applying a spray coating that will do the same thing. <br /><br />Hope that helps, Good luck

Laddies

Banned

When the resin is thicker it can build more heat so it drys better, in thin layers some times more hardneer works, but inless it is really hot out or if there is alot of humidtity you will have to use a infrared heat lamp, a regular heat lamp won't work---Bob

Realgun

Commander

That is funny you ask this as I just did what you did. I aplied a thin coat of epoxy mixed 3:1 as recommended by U.S. Composites. The next day I mixed up some glue filler to attach some seating bases.<br />The laminated glass was slightly tacky for two day and I had a heater under the cover for the first day. The thicker glue was dry the next morning with no additional heat. The thinner it is the longer it takes. My suggetion is make up about 12-16 oz and stir it for a minute then let it set for 5 minutes then use it. You will notice it gets warm and will dry in a day or so. Only if this is a slow or medium hardner a fast hardner could burn the cup!

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

Thats why I use poly resins.I can get it to work when the temp drops down to 40.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

All the 2 part epoxy I use drys in less than 1 hour on fingers, shirts and my pants leg , thin stuff to. @ 60 F

Realgun

Commander

Thats why I use poly resins.I can get it to work when the temp drops down to 40.
You can use the fast stuff to about 34 degrees.<br />Its not the epoxy resin its the hardener.<br />IT does not smell and has better holding and strength. Only real issue is price.

Dryrot

Seaman Apprentice

Make sure u are using the proper resin for your temperature conditions. US Composites have 3 mixes that are very temperature sensitive. I have used 3:1 and 4:1 in Ontario and 2:1 when I lived in South Carolina. Some resins will never set if the temp. is not right. US C website has all the working temps. listed but the salesman that I spoke with is not sure of cold temp. mixing because in Florida they do not have cold temps.