1987 50 hp force outboard wont start

redmeg15

Recruit
make a long story short. battery was dead on the boat. I pulled it up to the shore and started jumping it. started the boat with the motor out of the water for about 5 mins. yes I know. ive already received the, "are you serious reaction?". took off and shortly after I left the motor died with smoke coming out. I replaced the impeller and water pump housing. the impeller was shredded. but the boat still wont start. I think my shift rod might be misaligned. but the motor wont even turn over. what is the worst case scenario. and don't be gentle. please help. can this be fixed or do I need a new motor. thank you all for the assistance.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 50 hp force outboard wont start

The linkage should have gone right back to where it was unless you removed or adusted something.
Take it off and try again?
The overheat, you should do a compression test to see if you did any damage to the cylinders???
Location? Profile? You might be close to someone who can help.

redmeg15

Recruit

I am in Groton ct. I need to update my profile. I don't know how to do a compression test. I will look it up. Probably need a shop to do it. Thank you for the assist. An I looking at a possibly ruined motor?

Jiggz

Captain

One of the fool proof evidence will be result of the compression test. If the results are really low and depending on the condition of the cylinders, you might need a new motor or rebuilt considering you ran it initially for 5 minutes without any cooling and there after ran it in the water but of course still without cooling. In short, the engine overheated big time and only a compression test can tell, if it can even be done since it sounds like the engine is seized.

redmeg15

Recruit

I am still able to remove the spark plugs and rotate the prop. That's one way I was told to check to see if its seized. Please pardon my ignorance about boats. Learning something new everyday