30 hp outboard jet shift handle broken

aazar

Cadet
Hey guys so I was given a 1985 motor with an outboard jet lower unit , it is a great running motor though I'm not sure about the whole jet thing as it really isn't what I need but I figure I can just put a normal lower unit on when I come across one . The motor was in my garage and not sure why but somehow the shift handle broke where it goes into the leg . It appears to me that I would have to almost completely disassemble the thing to replace so I'd rather do that when I get rid of the jet . Since the jet doesn't use the shift rod for anything would it be a big deal to scab something up to be able to reconnect it without connecting it to the shift rod inside the leg but still have it so it moves that thing inside the engine compartment ( not sure what its called but when you move the handle into gear it moves a thing that moves another thing ) hope I somewhat made sence , any input would be greatly appreciated . Cheers Adam

aazar

Cadet
Re: 30 hp outboard jet shift handle broken

Hey . It's a 1985 30 hp Johnson , model # cj30rcoa . It's an ex government of Canada motor spent its life on a fish hatchery . It runs so good , my motor on the boat now is running poorly so I'd love to get this on the boat even though its a jet . I have no experience with them not even sure if it will work for what I do but it will at least get me there ! So much conflicting opinions on jets lol . Cheers Adam

aazar

Cadet

If I was to tap some thread into the hole where the shifter handle entered so I could use a bolt to have a pivot point would that mess me up if I convert back to a prop

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Could you post a pic of what you have ??

aazar

Cadet

I will try . I've never posted a picture on the web before ,

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a 30 jet about like yours, mine was a standard L/U and I made it a jet unit.. As you say the shift rod is not needed for the jet so when I added the jet unit I wanted to save the shift rod in case I wanted to switch it back, but I would have had to cut or bend the shift rod in order to get the jet on. So instead I flipped the unit on its head made a long thin rod with a hook on the end using a good headlamp I reached down inside and got the hook into the little cotter pin and pulled it out, then I pushed the shift rod connector pin out and removed the shift rod intact. I feel I could do this in reverse to install the shift rod, but instead of the hook on the end I would use a magnet. I actually enjoyed doing this just to see if I could do it and it was not at all difficult. The important thing is to shine a light down there and get a good idea of the tool you need to make, the hook on the end of the rod needs to be strong yet thin, I used a 2 foot stainless steel rod ground it on my bench grinder to a sharp point and bent it in my vise.

aazar

Cadet

Thanks I will try that trick , I was thinking I should change the impeller anyways . Thanks for your advice . How do you like the jet ? When I tried it out on the boat it was all over the map I couldn't keep it going straight so I'm thinking I should raise it ? As it sits now the leading edge of the foot is about 2-3" below bottom of boat

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

I use it for running up shallow creeks & for that purpose it does real well.