Questions, Fl to Ak natical miles and cost to travel thruogh canel

goldhunter_2

Seaman
Does anyone have the charts and can tell me the nautical miles form Fort Pierce Florida to Cordova Alaska ? and the cost for a 60' vessel going through the panama canal?

A few other questions for the more experienced people since I have never traveled the west coast and going with power vessel (I know don't hate me...lol) instead of sailboat , what is the average seas like? how far between inter-coastal access points that I'd have to run blue water?

The questions purpose is that I am trying to decide weather to build the vessel here or pay someone up in Washington to build it for me , trucking it across the country by road is not possible and not a option. I am trying to get a more exact estimated figure for the time and fuel as well as the wave size to compare that to what it would cost me paying a shipbuilder across country for a 100% build.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Questions, Fl to Ak nautical miles and cost to travel through canal

Re: Questions, Fl to Ak nautical miles and cost to travel through canal

I have absolutely no experience with this but....

A little playing with google Earth and it looks like about 7500 miles.
Other than a few hundred miles along the Alaskan inside passage, the Caribbean and the Pacific have NO inter-coastal.
It's Blue Water all the way.

The Canal will be about $1500 on a wait your turn basis.

goldhunter_2

Seaman
Re: Questions, Fl to Ak natical miles and cost to travel thruogh canel

ok thanks, sounds like about 5800 gallons of fuel and time & layovers will be weather dependent

UncleWillie

Captain

There are also Yatch movers that load a group of boats on a floating dry dock and transport the dry fleet to a common destination.
Miami to Frisco, Seattle or even Alaska might be a common passage.

One Example.

goldhunter_2

Seaman

I'll have to check on that I had considered a cargo ship form Miami to Anchorage but had not gotten as far as pricing The yacht mover mite be a option . Right now I'm just trying to compare all the $$$ for each choice and see what works out best

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

So, you're going to go dredging gold in Alaska?

goldhunter_2

Seaman

..lol...... no but but that mite be fun hobby after I get settled

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

I will say going on a Naval Air Craft Carrier through the Straigts down in South America and once we came out of that Straight and hit the Pacific Ocean even on a Air Craft Carrier it was some serious swells. Not sure a 60' Vessel is going to feel all that well on that. Would be a awesome trip though I think and if they can go down that far through the Panama Canal with Sail Power then I'm sure you can do it too.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Forgot to ask, what in the hell do you do for a living? First buying a 60' vessel and then the thought of paying $4.12 a gallon for gas and you said 5800 gallons at a total price of $23,896.00 my god that's half the price of my truck lol.

goldhunter_2

Seaman

well if I had a 6' keel under me I'd feel allot better ..lol