**SOLVED** 87 Johnson Stalling under Load

mikelh2010

Recruit
I apologize if this is in the wrong area or repeated but I searched through MANY posts looking for an answer but never saw a definitive one. Have an 87' Johnson 88 SPL which kept stalling as soon as gear was engaged and had difficulty restarting...just didn't seem right when it did but we were still moving at about 20-25 eventually and would just shut down, we were thinking carb or fuel issue. When we got it home and put the muffs on, popped the cap and starting playing with the carb and throttle adjustments as everyone had suggested but nothing changed so we brought adjustments back to where they were.

Here's what I found...the terminal on ONE of the Coils was loose to the point where it basically fell right off, badly corroded and burnt as if it had been arching, and the spark plug itself was absolutely spotless. Apparently the connector was so loose and corroded that it was intermittently making contact which is what was causing it to stall and not start until repeated cranking (apparently shaking the motor enough to make contact)..Anyone having this issue I strongly suggest fully inspecting every contact on the coils and plugs, it could be that easy..the Boat is an 18' Renken, it cost $550 with the motor, trailer, GPS unit, 2 props, 2 gas tanks, and a brand new deep cycle, the guy had it running in his driveway for us and said everything was perfect (lies) so it looks like because of this $.30 cent piece we saved quite a bit of moolah....I Genuinely hope that this helps even one person...the part is literally 30 cents and had almost cost $200 to have someone run through and check the thing for us. Tomorrow she goes back in the water...Good Luck...Happy Boating and everyone be safe this weekend...