Omc 2.3l distributor

Galaxie1989

Cadet
ok, so i have a omc 2.3l. I got the boat as a project, it was running great til my friend parked it for a couple years, I changed the wiring harness, solenoids, starter, dist. cap points condenser, and the coil. Ive cleaned up the grounds and connections. Once i got the starter and solenoids changed i had it turning over but no spark at spark plugs. I then changed coil,condenser,points,and cap. Followed by wiring harness. At this point I had a weak orange spark from coil. I cleaned up all the connections and grounds making sure I had a good connection. Im not that experienced so i have a couple questions. When messing around under the cap i was getting a spark on the plate the points and condenser are mounted on. Also when i was hooking up negative wire from coil to the terminal i hit the housing and there was a significant spark there? If i order the electronic conversion kit and the flamethrower coil with built in resistor should that take care of my issue or what are the odds of having a bad distributor alltogether?

Galaxie1989

Cadet
Omc 2.3l distributor

Anyone know if I can use a automotive distributor instead of the marine distributor by Mallory for the '87 2.3l