Water dripped into intake manifold

regal987

Cadet
Hi I Have a Mercruiser 5.0 2bbl carbureted, I took off the carb to have it rebuilt 2 weeks ago, I thought I had covered the intake manifold quite well, however my cover moved, and rain water dripped into the manifold. I got what I could get out of it siphoning it out with an eighth inch flexible hose that I pushed all through and around every bend i could until I could not get any more out. The motor has not been started yet this year and it was winterized with fogging oil on the last shut off. I am wondering what I should do from this point. Should I remove the intake manifold before I turn it over, could water have filled the cylinders? There is no water in the oil, at least on the dip stick. Any help is appreciated

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Water dripped into intake manifold

I would pull the spark plugs, spin the engine with the starter. Apply some more fogging oil down the intake manifold, then spin the engine with the starter again.

Put the plugs back in put everything back together and start the engine for real and run it as normal for a spring startup.

regal987

Cadet

If the manifold had a good amount of water in it is it in the cylinders? Have I done some major damage?

NHGuy

Captain

No damage yet. Just do as Ted said, hey a rhyme! Seriously though, the water can cause trouble if you start the motor without removing it. You remove the water by pulling the spark plugs and spinning the motor over without any plugs in it. The water will either go out the plug holes or down the exhaust. Then as he said fog the motor to recoat the metal parts with oil before they can rust. Just crank it and shoot some oil down the carburetor intake hole, plugs can be out or in, just get some oil on there soon, to stop the rust that will form.
Then go through the carb install and get er going as if there was never any water in there.

If you crank it with water in the combustion chambers and the plugs IN, then you will damage something, but you haven't cranked it so you are OK.