Rochester Quadrajet filter

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking at replacement carb filters on the net I see that there is an option for a filter with a built in check valve to stop the bowl from draining between uses, is this suitable for marine use or will it cause too much restriction at the higher RPM that marine engines run at? My engine does seem to suffer from carb bowl emptying which causes hard starting if its been sitting for any more than a day or so.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Rochester Quadrajet filter

My opinion is - if it aint broke don't fix it. Some fuel in the carb will allways evaperate so stoping the fuel from a possiable back flow when the fuel enters into the carb from the float needle seat is minimal.

Which way is your fuel bowl draining? back to the tank or down the intake....??

cause Rochesters have welch plugs that can slowly leak and empty the flue bowl after long periods of not running her and give tough cold starts.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

This subject is interesting because I have a 2.5 L with a Rochester 2 jet, and prolong sitting maybe week at most does not cause this.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

first it had to get past the needle and seat in the carb, have never seen gas float upwards.
If gas could rise on its own, is has to go thru the check valves in the fuel pump,manual or electric
even if it got that far it cant get back thru the anti-syphon.
So if your is leaking ,its leaking into the intake manifold or evaporating. Is the choke adjusted properly, is the accellerator pump pumping?Are you cycling the throttle lever a few times?

NHGuy

Captain

It's OK to pump it a few times after it has sat all week unused. The fuel in the intake tract & carb dries up after a time and to start it must be refreshed.