cam following roller grooved

tmorgan

Cadet
I have 1965 18 hp Fastwin that has a grooved cam follower roller. How serious is this and can it be inverted ?
Thanks for any info

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: cam following roller grooved

Don't know about inverting but maybe you could put some heat shrink tubing on it.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

I don't have that engine but I have inverted the roller on one of my engines. When I did this it would contact the cam on an unused part of the roller. It's worth a try.
Heat shrink tubing isn't going to make the roller round again and it would change the diameter of the roller.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I don't have that engine but I have inverted the roller on one of my engines. When I did this it would contact the cam on an unused part of the roller. It's worth a try.
Heat shrink tubing isn't going to make the roller round again and it would change the diameter of the roller.
I guess it would depend on how severe the wear is. The diameter change can be adjusted for just as you would adjust for initial contact.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Light groove doesn't really matter, except to the extent it changes the pick-up point. That can be readjusted. You can always replace the rubber roller, y'know. They can't be that expensive.

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

14 bucks at marineengine item 22 carb group.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

14 bucks at marineengine item 22 carb group.

Holy cats. If I had one, I'd give it to you. I'd even make you one from Delrin for less than that. It would never wear out.

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Holy cats. If I had one, I'd give it to you. I'd even make you one from Delrin for less than that. It would never wear out.

And that don't include shipping.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

How about looking for a brass or aluminum rod the correct diameter and cut a piece to fit. Should work for a loonnnggg time. I have the same roller setup but mine is still un-grooved...

lindy46

Captain

It doesn't cost anything to loosen the cam and adjust it to compensate for the wear in the roller.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

But if it is grooved REAL badly, you won't get full carburetor opening at full throttle because that end of the cam is not adjustable.