2003 4.3 V6 Exhaust Elbows Overheating

Jl08724

Cadet
I replaced the exhaust manifolds and elbows recently. I installed the restrictor gasket with the restrictor end to the the bow. However, the problem I am having is that after idling the riser will heat up not the engine. If I give the boat throttle it will bog down and not get up and go. However, if I leave the throttle about 1/2 way it will bog down but then starts clearing up and will eventually launch after about a minute. The exhaust elbows seem to be much cooler at this point. If you are looking at the engine from inside the boat the elbow on the right is most of the time cool. The one on the left however gets hot and cool. I checked for plugged elbows and each look clear.

The puzzling part is that it will clear up once the elbow cools down and this can only be accomplished by leaving the throttle at 1/2 and eventually it will cool. Then the boat will go.

New Impeleller / New Exhaust Manifolds / Elbows/ Thermostat / T with Ball Valves

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2003 4.3 V6 Exhaust Elbows Overheating

I replaced the exhaust manifolds and elbows recently. I installed the restrictor gasket with the restrictor end to the the bow. However, the problem I am having is that after idling the riser will heat up not the engine. If I give the boat throttle it will bog down and not get up and go. However, if I leave the throttle about 1/2 way it will bog down but then starts clearing up and will eventually launch after about a minute. The exhaust elbows seem to be much cooler at this point. If you are looking at the engine from inside the boat the elbow on the right is most of the time cool. The one on the left however gets hot and cool. I checked for plugged elbows and each look clear.

The puzzling part is that it will clear up once the elbow cools down and this can only be accomplished by leaving the throttle at 1/2 and eventually it will cool. Then the boat will go.

New Impeleller / New Exhaust Manifolds / Elbows/ Thermostat / T with Ball Valves

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Ayuh,.... Yer Carb is Not workin' properly,...

The exhaust issue, is a Non-issue,...
The risers are 'bout Never the same temp,...