Got the hog

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All

I am about to replace stringers in my Glastron. I am going to do that one at a time (so I have 3 to level up with at any time)

Now I am working from Sb to port. There are 4 stringers.

Before I pulled out the SB most stringer, I placed a straight edge on the hull under the stringer, and noticed a slight hogging near the stern. Not much, about 1/4 inch indent max running about 2 feet.

I think this is from the roller trailer over the years (intend to go bunk there)

Port side looks good.

I would like to clean this up before (while?) installing the new stringer. Any advice on a possible procedure here?

Thanks
Chris

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Got the hog

Hog = bow inward on the hull ???

How is the boat currently supported now that the stringers are out. If they are well supported you may be able to apply some weight to the bowed area to straighten it and then you can set the stringers.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good thinking on replacing one stringer at a time. That is what I am planning on doing as well. Can't think on any ideas, at the moment, in respect to your "slight hogging."

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes hull is slightly concave (in to the hull)

The boat is still basically on the rollers now...but no resin gets mixed till I have it on dead flat bunks. The boat is astonishingly light with no engine, outdrive, deck, wet transom and wet foam. I can pick it up of the rollers with one hand and slide a 2*4 under it with the other.

My "hog" observations are with it resting on the 2 by 4. Confirmed with an aluminum straight edge.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

1st, you should really keep posts concerning your boat restoration all in one thread. It makes it much easier for the members to follow along with everything you're doing with your project. 2nd the "Hog" as you call it is called a "Hook" in your hull and it is a serious matter. It will cause serious performance issues especially with planing and porpoising of the hull. You will need to get it off the roller trailer and onto bunks and then use heat (approx 150 - 180? F using heat lamps) and some heavy weights to attempt to reform the glass. Also when you install the stringer you will need to ensure that the hull remains straight during the bedding and tabbing process. Do and advanced search on the forum for repairing a Hook in the hull to see what others have done.

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I start a new thread for each problem so others can find it easy.

Because when I search for "hook" say; I get links to entire threads such as "1995 sea ray restore" that may have 1000 postings. But I cannot find which of those postings has the term "hook" in it.

Perhaps I am missing a vital piece of search skills there?

Heat lamps -- excellent idea. Thanks!

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Don't want to step on any toes here but I will anyway. There are basically two kinds of plastic. Thermoform and thermoset. Polyester resin is a thermoset type plastic. It cannot be formed by adding heat unless you get to the heat distortion temperature which is very high and will destroy the physical properties. Don't heat it, just push it back into shape and use the stringer to hold it there while you glass it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I got Big, Bony, Tough Toes!!!!:D;)

George, you are correct but... There have been instances where members here and on other sites that have done what I have suggested with good results. The heat will make it easier to push the glass back into shape and the stringer and new tabbing will aid in keeping it there. No guarantees but hopefully it will remove all or some of the hook.

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Going to throw some photos up tomorrow on this, but on closer inspection, the hog (or hook, but hog sounds better:) is actually a bending on a line parallel to the tansom about 6 inches forward. This line appears to coinside with a build up of fiberglass layers that was there for tabbing in the transom. I am willing to bet it has been there from day one.

Furthermore...all my 210 lbs cannot take it out.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Is this "Hog" (but you get better responses if you use the correct terminology so Boat People will know what you're talking about) on the inside or outside of the Hull and as you say, Pics always tell the Tale!

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Excellent point. Hook it is.

The hook is on the outside. Ill attempt to visualize as the slight stuff I am talking about here will be hard to see without setting up some fancy shadows / lighting (ill try tomorrow);

Imagine the 20' boat is suspended right side up. Take an 8 foot straight edge and lay it on the outside hull of the boat, running from the transom forward, mid way from the keel to the chine, in between 2 lifting strakes.

The straight edge contacts the hull in only 2 places; at the transom and 8 feet forward of the transom.

The gap between the hull and the straight edge increases very slowly as you move from the forward section towards the rear. It keeps increasing to a maximum of 1/4 inch gap. This "point of maximum gap" is only 6" from the transom. Continuing aft from there, the the gap decreases rapidly for 6" until the straight edge contacts the hull again at the aft most point on the bottom; at the transom.

Now that point of maximum gap looks to be a uniform line running parallel to the transom, between the 2 lifting strakes.

Moving inside the hull, the line appears to be very much where the tabbing for the transom ends.

So what I have here is not a gentle curve to flatten. Its more like a 0.5 degree obtuse angle with a definitive apex 6" from the stern.

And it's not interested in moving if I apply 210 lbs on the inside.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Is there any marring from a roller at the 6" mark where the gap is the widest? That close to the transom, it's likely the weight of the boat, and it's compromised structure, caused the boat to sag around the roller supports.

When you notice something like the hook, and want to start a separate thread, you might post a link to the original thread in the new 1 & mention the hook in the original & link the new thread there too. Then its easier to track & follow like WOG suggested about keeping it together. Having all the pix & etc available & in 1 place makes it easier to jump back & forth looking at pix you might have only posted in 1 place or the other. And posting pix, particularly of both sides of the hull at the hook.

This is on your 1990 Glastron SSV 199? The pix in the other thread shows a GX-199 logo. Based on the latest description you posted, it wouldn't surprise me that it was a minor factory 'defect' that went unnoticed if it's glassed & tabbed w/ the hook, on just 1 side of the hull.

If it's on both sides, the hull might have been designed w/ a slight hook to reduce bow rise or prevent porpoising.

Interesting, lets see some pix.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

when i had this issue with my slickcraft, i was advised by some on here to drill the hull and bolt it to a piece of steel angle and use the bolts to draw the hook out. Then bed the stringer, glass over the stringer so its all tied in and then remove the angle and repair the holes. Granted, drilling holes in the bottom of the boat is a frightening proposition, but you'll find you can repair holes pretty easily in fiberglass.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Back in the day I was with a company that made very fast bass boats, no names but it started with an R. Anyway we had some hulls that had a small hook designed and built into the hull to keep the bow down and stop porposing at speed with the motor trimmed up. I don't know if Glasstron ever did that.

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well sure enough i looked at the other side again, and found the exact same thing. I cant believe I did not see this before, yeesh.. :facepalm:

So I am concluding that Glastron added the hook. One less thing.