Scalloping out of Homosassa Florida

noclutch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A friend of mine has invited me to follow her out on a day of scalloping a couple weeks from now after putting in Homosassa. I've never been to this coast of Florida and am a bit timid. My understanding is that the channel leading out is safe and predictable, but once out in the grassy scalloping areas things can be kinda sketchy in regards to random rocks and oyster reefs. I'm in a 20' I/O bowrider that needs 3' deep water to feel safe :rolleyes:

Anyone here have much experience? It sounds like a lot of fun, but not at the expense (literally) of trashing my boats outdrive, prop or hull....

chimmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Scalloping out of Homosassa Florida

Got a depth finder? It's almost mandatory on this part of the coast because of the incredible shallows.

noclutch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chimmike- yes, the OEM Farina plus a Garmin 525s plotter/sounder. I watch them both like a hawk when in the St Johns and ICW east coast. The Garmin is set to shade charts blue at less than 5'.

chimmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So long as you're following the channel and not wide-open in unknown areas I suspect you should be okay. Google maps is surprisingly good at showing shallow areas in these parts, might be worth a look to print a few out and bring along.

noclutch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From my understanding her usual place to scallop is near the "islands" about 3 miles due west of Deep Creek here. This is the area on Google earth and while it looks lovely from space I find it hard to make much of the color changes in regards to actual depth...
I actually purchased a G2 Garmin map of all US coastal regions (HXUS039R) and according to it using Home port on my computer the depths are pretty much 1-2 feet (not meters) outside the channel!! For miles? Really??? That's airboat depths!! I can not screen capture it for you unfortunately (proprietary stuff :/)
Is Garmin that off on this chart? I have an east coast and inland waterways map chip and find it very accurate (more or less) for St Johns and ICW.

Last edited:

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The channel out of Homosassa is zig vags and DO Not get outside the markers. But good news is scallop season is busy and just follow a decent size boat in the parade of people.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Remember, there are two types of boaters in florida. Those that HAVE run aground, and those that WILL run aground. I myself am both.

noclutch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all.

mikeneal- That is a good idea indeed. The problem with my guide de jour is her boat is a POS small outboard she could care less about. She did ask if I had insurance, and couldn't understand why I told her that was irrelevant to the question of risk.

Scott Danforth- yea I'm those also, but so far only run amuk, run asand, run alog and run aweed. Not run areef or rock, yet...