Aftermarket Bow Thruster

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey!

I've got a 1994 Larson Cabrio 280 (10' beam) with a single 7.4 Merc Bravo 3. I'm somewhat new to boating with a boat this size, but with a single engine this things impossible to dock.

What're the pro's thoughts on throwing an aftermarket bow thruster in, and does anyone have a rough idea at hours / cost?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Aftermarket Bow Thruster

it would be cheaper to sell your boat and buy one with twins.... that said.... Your boat is definitely not impossible to dock. You just need more practice... My friend with a 27' searay told me the same thing and last week we went out and docked it and maneuvered it around buoys for 5 hours straight... He now has MUCH more confidence and is QUICKLY getting better.

You need to practice where you won't hurt anything if you miss and once you figure it out you'll be golden....
When you can plan ahead figuring for wind and or current and you don't have to sit and think about it while your boat drifts out of control it will get MUCH easier for you

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bow thrusters are nice to have; plan on $4-$5k.

Practice is (almost) free. Single engine docking is more difficult, but not impossible.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need more practice. The fact that you have duo prop helps you a lot.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I've put in a bunch of bow thrusters in new boats. The tube usually goes in, in the mold. After the fact, its a big deal. You would have to tear apart the whole bow section and cut through the liner if there is one. Then prep and glass in a tube. Then cut from the out side, glass and fair and finish and add some flares to the bow so the water flows smoothly over the holes. Not to mention the heavy gauge wires to run. 4 or 5k might even be low. As said, there are millions of single engine boats out there, so practice, practice, practice.

RIDevin

Recruit

I bought the same boat (Well almost Larson Cabrio 270) with the same engine configuration. I had an awful time docking at first. Early on my marina had a "boating show" where they offered 1 hour docking courses with a captain on a rental boat. It was the best $20+ $20tip I ever spent. I'd suggest working with someone who's good at docking a similar boat for a while, most people would be happy to show you the ropes.

A few tips from the captain I worked with:

1) Always know where the helm is: Know how many turns your boats wheel takes lock to lock from starboard to port. Know where the centered position is..for instance my boat is 2.5 turns lock to lock, so from hard over to centered is 1.24 turn, helps to know that when your not looking at the wheel.

2) Always use short bursts of thrust by engaging and disengaging the drive, knowing where your helm is pointed is important

3) Most important: Only travel as fast as you want to hit something, that way if you do bump into your neighbor no harm no foul.

We covered a lot more..after much practice I can maneuver my boat in tighter quarters than my brother in law with his twin inboards. This is great source of annoyance for him.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

My marina will put one of the dock girls on your boat for 30 minutes to give instruction. They are good. The toughest part ios concentrating on what they are wanting you to see over what you are looking at.

RIDevin

Recruit

My marina will put one of the dock girls on your boat for 30 minutes to give instruction. They are good. The toughest part ios concentrating on what they are wanting you to see over what you are looking at.

.......My marina doesn't have "dock girls", geez I gotta move south...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Pictures needed.

Thalasso

Commander

If there isn't any pic's it doesn't happen

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I told the dockmaster recently when I came in Leslie and Mandy were waiting for lines. If he had a picture of that every slip would be sold or rented. OK,,, I'll try to remember to take my camera next week.... leaving the water to the tourists until then. Even with the camera I have to remember to use it,,, and not get drool on it.

Pictures needed.

superbenk

Commander

The way I do it on a much smaller boat is to come in at a 60? angle at idle speed & cut power well in advance so I'm drifting into the dock. I shouldn't be going so fast that I'd cause any damage if I accidentally hit the dock at the speed I'd be at. Just as the bow comes within arm's reach of the bow, I turn the wheel hard towards the dock & put the drive in reverse with some thrust. If you do it right (& time it right!), the stern will pull right into the dock & you should be sitting parallel to the dock at full stop.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Same method I use no matter the tide and wind. The only tough part is when coming in after marina hours alone. There are no dock girls then and getting off the boat and getting the stern tied before she moves too far. Once the stern is tied it can be used as a spring line to lay the bow alongside again.

The way I do it on a much smaller boat is to come in at a 60? angle at idle speed & cut power well in advance so I'm drifting into the dock. I shouldn't be going so fast that I'd cause any damage if I accidentally hit the dock at the speed I'd be at. Just as the bow comes within arm's reach of the bow, I turn the wheel hard towards the dock & put the drive in reverse with some thrust. If you do it right (& time it right!), the stern will pull right into the dock & you should be sitting parallel to the dock at full stop.